[artinfo] LungA School Winter/Spring program 2018

e-artnow info at e-artnow.org
Fri Sep 1 20:40:45 CEST 2017

LungA School Winter/Spring program 2018

  - open for application

'84' is a twelve week program at the LungA School
in Sey©£isfj‘r©£ur, Iceland. We are open for
applications for the Winter/Spring program of
'84' which starts January 8th and ends March 31st
There are limited spots for each program.

<http://lunga.is/school/umsokn/84-winterspring-2018/>lunga.is/school/umsokn/84-winterspring-2018/

A GENERAL NOTE
Briefly put, the LungA School is an independent,
artist-led institution and situation where we
experiment with artistic practice as a way of
doing, thinking and being in order to cultivate,
disturb, distort and transform our notions of
aesthetics, learning, perception and good
judgement.

THE PROGRAM
'84' is 84 days (8th of January 2018 to 31st of March 2018)

Just after the new year has greeted us and we
have greeted it, we will all meet in a tiny
corner on a big blue planet, one we think we know
but that will most likely still surprise us.
While the darkness promise us that the light will
come, we will use the dark days to explore
unknown worlds and when the light finally comes,
everything might be slightly different.

The program '84' moves through different stages.
These are characterised by a difference in
language, a difference in content and a
difference in focus, but also by a similarity
which allows for several cycles to occur during
the program and several opportunities to revisit
an idea or a medium in order to experience the
changes in perception that occurs over time.

The stages occur chronologically, but are
overlapping and seamlessly woven together so that
the journey through them becomes one continous
movement. We exist and explore in the space
between clarity and madness. And you are most
welcome to join.

The manifesto and overview of the program can be
found here: <http://bit.ly/2uXLBYF>bit.ly/2uXLBYF

And you can read more about the school here:
<http://lunga.is/school/um/>lunga.is/school/um/

HOW TO APPLY
The application process consist of both an
application form and a Skype conversation. After
filling out the application form you will be
invited for a conversation shortly after.

There is limited spots at each program and we go
by the principle of 'first come, first served'.
If you apply after the program is full, you will
be offered a spot on the waiting list and/or at
the next program.

Program details:
When: January 8th 2018 - March 31st 2018

Where: Sey©£isfj‘r©£ur, Iceland

Cost: Total cost including food, accommodation and tuition = 545.000 ISK

Application form can be found here: <http://bit.ly/2i1yBjv>bit.ly/2i1yBjv

SEY®¢ISFJÖR®¢UR
We are based in Sey©£isfj‘r©£ur. A mystical
village between throning mountains. A place
where everything is possible. With bright
summers, dark winters, beautiful nature and even
more important, distance from the rest of the
world. This gives an
opportunity for deeper focus, inspiration and
thorough experimentation.
Sey©£isfj‘r©£ur has for many years been a hub for
artists and other creatives, and it is the
setting for many cultural initiatives all year
round.
The LungA School facilities are placed all around
the town and the students will create open events
and exhibitions during the program and take part
in the community in many ways.

A FEW EXTRA NOTES
The school has become and is still becoming. And
in this process of becoming it is not only
transforming itself and being transformed, it is
also radically altering it's own foundation as
well as everyone involved. Sey©£isfj‘r©£ur is not
the same. The students do not remain the same. We
are certainly not the same. And the school has
never been anything other than these constant
transformations. This wonderful, living activity
which escapes definition in order to be alive.

II
A program here is a composition, a set of
arranged circumstances, notes on a string. Each
note is in its right place, which could be any
place, but then again, it could not. It is where
it is. These circumstances have a beginning, but
each of them unfold in largely unpredictable
ways, filling out the empty space between the
notes, creating a totality in the performance of
a composition. And each performance is different
from the other, though it is easy to recognize
the composition as being a particular composition
and not some other.
We are conscious while we surrender to unfamiliar logics.

III
Contemporary art education must become an
integrated, conscious, social practice of
creating environments of experimentation while at
the same time dissolving the boundaries of the
institution. Art is not a spectacle removed from
the viewer, but an integrated experience of the
lives we live.

Here, teaching and learning becomes performative
practices that calls for aesthetic appreciation,
consideration and alteration.

<mailto:jonatan at lunga.is>jonatan at lunga.is
Jonatan Spejlborg
Phone: +354 786 3402