[artinfo] Danube Flood Appeal Auction in Budapest, 3rd June, 2006

Janos Szoboszlai jszoboszlai at acbgaleria.hu
Thu May 11 09:25:30 CEST 2006

FELHÍVÁS JÓTÉKONYSÁGI AUKCIÓN VALÓ RÉSZTVÉTELRE

Dear All,

The common language that the T-B A21 foundation has chosen to use has   a
great deal in common with the effort being made to change things   for the
better. This year, under the auspices of Austria’s presidency   of the EU,
we designated the Danube as the life force of Kutlug
Ataman’s Küba project and now it has become a death sentence for many
villages along its banks. The project called "JOURNEY AGAINST THE
CURRENT" (please check our website www.tba21.org)  has itself
overcome the categorization of “breaking boundaries ” with the
resonance of its honesty, the infinite richness and lyricism which is
Kutlug’s signature. But now the river is breaking its boundaries and
drowning all those whom we seek to encourage and support. It is Küba
itself that led to the enlargement of this project from being a
simple one-way journey “up” the Danube to Vienna, into a gesture of
bringing hope and relief to many thousands of people that are
affected by the recent floods.

With the cancellation of the Küba launch in Constanta, Romania, due   to
the tremendous flooding in the region and the ban on all traffic   on the
Danube, I may have lost my dream to travel Küba symbolically   from the
Black sea to Vienna… but many thousands have already lost   their homes,
and as we watch the Danube waters rising again, many   more thousands will
be affected. The snows have yet to melt and will   most likely cause
further flooding. After all, Küba has inspired the   7 new works that we
have commissioned (one from each country the   Danube touches), each of
which addresses the humanity and identities   of the people whom this
river affects, so how can we ignore their   tragic circumstances now.

Last year many of you helped me raise €210,000 for the Tsunami
victims in Sri Lanka and the One World Foundation organized by the
Museum in Progress here in Vienna, who have rebuilt an amazing
community there for the second time with those funds. Thank you again   to
all of you who contributed to that auction, it was a huge success!

This year T-B A21, through its partner foundation Disaster Relief, is
helping to rebuild many homes for the 1000s of people that have lost
their homes in the floods particularly in  Romania but also in
Bulgaria and Serbia. Each home costs € 5000 to rebuild. T-B A21 has
donated the first home, and next week I am personally bringing 10,000
hepatitis vaccines to the flooded areas along with 1 ton of HIPP baby
food, so help is already on its way.

To create a fund to support the Danube flood victims we will organize   an
auction of artworks organized by Phillips, de Pury & Company at   the
Mucsarnok museum in Budapest. The works will be exhibited for   several
days prior to the auction which will take place on the 3rd   June. Simon
de Pury will himself conduct the auction, and the works   will be posted
on the Phillips website to encourage absentee bidders.

What we would need urgently, should you agree to donate a work to the
auction, would be its dimensions, medium, value, current location and
most importantly a digital image. We will cover all transportation   costs
to Budapest. All works will be posted right away on the
Phillips website. But please be quick - their Contemporary sales are   on
11th May in NY and many people visit their website around this time!

AND! Last but not least, if you can courier your donation personally   and
come to Budapest for the Küba opening and the Auction as well as   my
Birthday party, T-B A21 will offer you a room for 2 nights in   Budapest
during 2nd & 3rd June. If you cannot attend, we will send   you a copy of
Janet Cardiff's magnificent Walk Book, recently
published by us and just voted book of the month by ART Magazine! It   is
a beauty! (Janet, you will get a special room with a view
overlooking the Danube in Budapest for 2 nights!) We would all be so
happy if you could attend, because after the auction the Birthday
reveling begins in the oldest Turkish bath of Budapest, (togas will   be
provided!) and then we will rave on well into dawn in Budapest’s   insane
club scene.

The Küba barge is presently moored in Serbia awaiting the lifting of
traffic restrictions on the lower Danube. This is not likely to
happen any day soon. When the river's level returns to normal, we   will
once again embark on this extraordinary journey "AGAINST THE   CURRENT"...
and oh what a current it is!

Thank you for your support,

Francesca von Habsburg and all the team of TBA21