[artinfo] Sea Art Festival–Artwork Competition : Busan Biennale 2006
info at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Jun 17 19:29:23 CEST 2005
Sea Art Festival-Artwork Competition
Busan Biennale 2006
2006.9.16-10.7, Haeundae Beach, etc. in Busan, Korea
Artwork Competition for the Sea Art Festival
• Number of works : 20 installation pieces in and around the beach
• Submission period : Friday, Sept. 23 to Friday, Sept. 30 by 18:00, 2005
• Submission location :Office of the Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
• Contact tel 82-51-888-6767 fax 82-51-888-6693 busanbiennal at korea.com
Busan Biennale, which comprises the Contemporary Art Exhibition, the Sea
Art Festival and the Busan Sculpture Project, (which is a special
exhibition), is one of the most representative biennales in Korea. Owing to
great successes in 2002 and 2004, Busan Biennale has received widespread
acclaim from the global art world as one of the top four major biennales in
As part of Busan Biennale 2006, the Contemporary Art Exhibition and Sea Art
Festival are being held from September 16 to November 25, 2006 in and
around the Busan Museum of Modern Art, Haeundae Beach. The Sculpture
Project, which is a special biennale exhibition, will be held from May 27
to August 31, 2006 in Geumgang Park. Busan Biennale 2006 is not only
presenting major new trends in the world’s contemporary art, it is also
establishing itself in the eyes of the art world as one of the global
centers of discourse in this field.
The Sea Art Festival, which has been held since 1987, has become the most
unique and creative marine arts show in the world, as well as the largest
environmental installation art festival. The festival showcases ten invited
artists with ten works, and twenty works in the competitive domain. The Sea
Art Festival’s Artwork Competition is an especially wonderful opportunity
for artists to exhibit their creative abilities, while activating the
international exchange of experiential installation in marine arts.
Busan Biennale 2006 welcomes all artists to respond to the Sea Art’s
Festival competitive challenge. Are you interested? Then check out the
Busan Biennale website, right now.(http://www.busanbiennale.org) Take
advantage of this unique opportunity to celebrate your achievements on the
world stage with other innovative artists.
– Guidelines for the Artwork Competition –
Open competition of artwork
•Competition theme : To be determined (refer to the Busan Biennale homepage
• Number of works : 20 installation pieces on and around the sea
Size : one-side minimum of 4 meters and maximum of 10 meters
•Qualification : Anyone can participate regardless of nationality
-Undergraduate students can submit collaborative works only with the
recommendation of their professors.
A single group cannot exceed 10 students.
• First-round contest : document submission
Documents required : an entry form, and a model drawing showing front and
The drawing should be 39 x 55cm. One copy of each document is required.
The entry form can be downloaded at the Busan Biennale homepage
• Document submission
- Submission period : Friday, Sept. 23 to Friday, Sept. 30 by 18:00, 2005
- Submission location : Office of the Busan Biennale Organizing Committee
- Submission method : mail or in person
Submissions arriving after the deadline will not be considered for judging.
(Note : submissions will not be accepted on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.)
• Second-round contest : model submission
- Qualification : winners of the first-round contest
- Submission period : Monday, Dec. 5 to Saturday, Dec. 17, 2005
- Location : Busan Metropolitan City, City Hall, 2nd, 3rd Exhibition Hall
- Model size : (width) 1.2m _ (length) 1.2m _ (height) 2m (including the
size of the pedestals).
The pedestals should be prepared by the contestants.
Model submission : Saturday, Dec. 3, 2005, 13:00-16:00, Busan Metropolitan
City, City Hall, second floor Exhibition Hall
Grand Prize1 winner10 million Won
Excellence2 winners5 million Won
Special Selection17 winners3 million Won
Note: Award-winning works will be exhibited in the main show.
(Grants for production are included in the prize).
Award ceremony : Sept. 16, 2006, Opening Ceremony of the Busan Biennale
2006 Grand Prize and Excellence Prize : Recipients of these prizes will be
chosen out of the Special Selection-winning works that have completed
production and installation one day before the opening of Busan Biennale 2006.
More information about the Artinfo