[artinfo] ZKM/symposium/40yearsvideoart.de - Digital Heritage

Irina Koutoudis koutoudis at zkm.de
Fri Jun 17 11:39:10 CEST 2005

ZKM | Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe
ZKM | Center for Art and Media Karlsruhe
June 2005

Infomail No 13

»40yearsvideoart.de« - Digital Heritage

Symposium

Date: July 1 and 2

Venue: K20 | Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen,
Grabbeplatz 5 Trinkaus-Auditorium
40213 Düsseldorf

The futility of electronic data carriers such as
magnetic tape has been the topic of a few
symposia over time. The ubiquitous nature of
electronic images makes it more urgent than ever
to explore, discuss and analyse ways of
preserving and restoring electronic images. The
standards of restoration have been developed over
many centuries but never been applied
systematically to electronic images. What happens
to artworks, to memory devices in general, if
they become digital? Can we envision lasting
storage devices within the digital realm? The
rapid change of technological platforms certainly
contributes to uncertainties and an unwillingness
to tackle all these issues.
That is why, «40yearsvideoart.de - Digital
Heritage» wants to further our understanding of
these ongoing processes, to promote the open
discussion of strategies as well as their impact
on our notion of memory and the construction of
history. To this end, we will gather
international experts in Düsseldorf for a two-day
symposium dedicated to the theoretical,
historical, practical and artistic implications
of the continuous migration of our electronic
information.
Speakers include Katharina Ammann (University of
Bern), Anita Beckers (Galerie Beckers,
Frankfurt/Main), Christoph Blase (ZKM Karlsruhe),
Hans D. Christ (Württembergischer Kunstverein,
Stuttgart), Dieter Daniels (HGB Leipzig), Barbara
Engelbach (Museum Ludwig, Cologne), Rudolf
Frieling (ZKM Karlsruhe), Johannes Gfeller (HKB
Bern), Boris Groys (HfG Karlsruhe), Hans Dieter
Huber (Akademie der bildenden Künste Stuttgart),
Dieter Kiessling (artist, Düsseldorf), Caitlin
Jones (Guggenheim Museum, New York), Ulrich Lang
(Museum Moderne Kunst, Frankfurt/Main), Stephen
Partridge/Jackie Hatfield (Duncan of Jordanstone
College of Art, Dundee), Walter Plaschzug
(HS-Art, Graz), Bart Rutten (Montevideo,
Amsterdam), Sandra Thomas/Alexandra Wessels (235
Media, Köln), Stephan Urbaschek (Goetz-Sammlung,
München), Heather Weaver (Bay Area Video
Coalition, San Francisco), Tina Weidner/Yvonne
Mohr (Tate Modern, London, ZKM Karlsruhe).
(subject to change)

Check for abstracts and programme: www.40jahrevideokunst.de
Simultaneous German - English translation will be
available. Participation in the symposium is free
of charge but we welcome online registration.

This initiative project is financed by the
Kulturstiftung des Bundes (Federal Cultural
Foundation) and organized by Center for Art and
Media Karlsruhe (head of project) and the
Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen (K21),
Dusseldorf (official project carrier) in
cooperation with the partners Kunsthalle Bremen,
Lenbachhaus Munich, and Museum of Fine Arts,
Leipzig. Additional funding for the symposium was
provided by the British Council.

For further information see the project Web site or contact:

ZKM Center for Art and Media
Rudolf Frieling - Head of Project
Lorenzstr. 19
D- 76135 Karlsruhe