[artinfo] Centre for Modern Thought

Fran Taylor f.taylor at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Dec 27 15:40:48 CET 2005

To students seeking graduate/post-graduate programmes with a strong
theoretical commitment:

We would like to call your attention to the existence of a new
research centre at the University of Aberdeen that offers a unique
context for theoretically and philosophically oriented study.  The
Centre for Modern Thought aims to explore and carry forward the
ground-breaking intellectual movements of the last century in the
context of cross-disciplinary debate framed by a strong reference to
modern history and contemporary socio-political issues.  We draw from
programmes across the College of Arts and Social Sciences at
Aberdeen, and we have significant funding from our institution for
high-profile appointments in political philosophy, theory of art and
media, intellectual history, science studies, and cultural and
literary theory. We aim to make the Centre for Modern Thought a hub
for contemporary thinking in an international context. We will invite
some of the most prominent intellectuals of our time to Aberdeen, and
we will host colloquia on a wide range of topics including human
rights, contemporary architecture and urban planning, global ecology,
and new political
thought.  At the same time, we will provide sustained training at the
highest level to students who seek to explore the foundations and
contexts for contemporary thinking.

The Centre offers an M.Litt by Research (which gives students
considerable flexibility to pursue independent research), and offers
Ph.D. an exceptional environment for their study. Students may also
pursue an M.Litt in Comparative Literature and Thought.

Visit our website at  http://www.abdn.ac.uk/modernthought  or, for
Comparative Literature, see
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/sll/complit
For further information contact Professor Christopher Fynsk
(enl290 at abdn.ac.uk).