[artinfo] Book on Digital Ethics

Beöthy Balázs b2 at c3.hu
Wed Oct 26 00:31:00 CEST 2022

Christian Fuchs (by way of János Sugár) <christian.fuchs at uti.at>

Book on Digital Ethics
Christian Fuchs. 2023/. //Digital Ethics. Media, Communication and
Society Volume Five//. /New York: Routledge

More infos and sample chapter:
https://fuchsc.uti.at/books/digital-ethics/

This fifth volume in Christian Fuchs's /Media, Communication and
Society/ series presents an approach to critical digital ethics. It
develops foundations and applications of digital ethics based on
critical theory. It applies a critical approach to ethics within the
realm of digital technology.

Based on the notions of alienation, communication (in)justice, media
(in)justice, and digital (in)justice, it analyses ethics in the context
of digital labour and the surveillance-industrial complex; social media
research ethics; privacy on Facebook; participation, co-operation, and
sustainability in the information society; the digital commons; the
digital public sphere; and digital democracy. The book consists of three
parts. Part I presents some of the philosophical foundations of
critical, humanist digital ethics. Part II applies these foundations to
concrete digital ethics case studies. Part III presents broad
conclusions about how to advance the digital commons, the digital public
sphere, and digital democracy, which is the ultimate goal of critical
digital ethics.

*Table of Contents**

I. Foundations

1. What is Digital Ethics?
2. Foundations of Communication/Media/Digital (In)Justice
3. The Ethics of the Digital Commons

II. Applications

4. Information Ethics in the Age of Digital Labour and the
Surveillance-Industrial Complex 5. "Dear Mr. Neo-Nazi, can you please
give me your informed consent so that I can quote your fascist tweet?":
Questions of Social Media Research Ethics in Online Ideology Critique
6. Towards an Alternative Concept of Privacy
7. The Ethics and Political Economy of Privacy on Facebook
8. Information Technology and Sustainability in the Information Society
9. Theoretical Foundations of Defining the Participatory, Co-operative,
Sustainable Information Society (PCSIS)

III. Conclusion
10. The Digital Commons and the Digital Public Sphere: How to Advance
Digital Democracy Today