[artinfo] E.A.S.T.

Molly Hankwitz mollyhankwitz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:03:07 CET 2021

Essential Autonomous Struggles Transnational

Note from LeftEast Editors: We share the
Essential Strike Manifesto by E.A.S.T. (Essential
Autonomous Struggles Transnational), a network
composed mostly of women, migrants, workers and
activists born out of the struggles on social
reproduction triggered by the pandemic crisis of
Covid-19. E.A.S.T., as the acronym suggests, has
Eastern and Central Europe as its main focus but
looks at this specific space as a part of a
transnational field of struggle. The network
wants to ignite new struggles and strikes against
exploitation, male violence and institutional
racism by connecting existing struggles and
building a common space of organization which
overcomes the local and national isolation and
fragmentation of single social and labor
initiatives.

We are the women who are essential for the
healing of the entire world from the pandemic. We
are doing essential work and yet we find
ourselves in miserable conditions: our work is
underpaid and undervalued; we are overworked or
jobless; we are forced to live in overcrowded
places and to constantly renew our residence
permits. We face a daily struggle against male
violence, at home and in our workplaces. We are
fed up with these violent and exploitative
conditions and refuse to remain silent! We
started organizing together in a network that
connects struggling women, migrants and workers
in Central, Eastern and Western Europe: this is
Essential Autonomous Struggles Transnational
(EAST). On the 8th of March we call all who
struggle against capitalist, patriarchal and
racist violence to join our strike!.

On the 8th of March we strike against the
exploitation of our productive and reproductive
labor. With our essential work as nurses,
cleaners, teachers, grocery store workers,
logistic and seasonal workers, paid and unpaid
domestic workers and caregivers for kids, elderly
and sick people, we keep society afloat.
Especially with schools and kindergartens closed,
the burden of childcare and domestic work is on
our shoulders. During the pandemic many of us
have lost their jobs among others because at home
we had children to take care of and domestic work
to do. Our work is essential, at home and in the
workplaces, and yet degraded.

On the 8th of March we strike against the
tightening of patriarchal violence! National
governments are using the pandemic as a chance to
strengthen the grip of patriarchy: in Poland,
with the attempt to further limit freedom of
abortion; in Turkey, with the proposal to
withdraw from the Istanbul convention; in
Hungary, with the restrictions of transgender
rights and an anti-LGBTQ agenda. While we were
told to "stay home, stay safe", many of us don't
have homes at all. And for many others their
homes are everything but a safe space as they
live with abusive partners and struggle against
increased domestic violence during the lockdowns.
An open attack has been waged to make us stick to
the role of serfs of society, subordinate at home
and exploited in the outside world.

On the 8th of March we strike against the racist
and exploitative regimes of mobility! As care and
seasonal migrant workers from Eastern Europe, we
have been "allowed" to reach Western countries to
perform essential labor here, but we had to do so
at our own risk, with no protections or social
security. Our work sustains (health)care in the
West, while in the East, the healthcare systems
are collapsing on the shoulders of overworked and
under equipped workers. Migrants and refugees
from within and outside of the EU are left living
in overcrowded dormitories, camps and working in
unsafe environments, while they are never
entitled to the same monetary aid that local
populations are given. On the unequally divided
map of Europe, migrants are paying the highest
price of the pandemic, as they usually pay the
highest price of exploitation.

We refuse to be considered essential only to be
exploited and oppressed! Inspired by former and
ongoing struggles, we build on the experiences of
the global women's strike, the Polish women's
strike and the feminist struggles in Argentina
for the right to abortion. We look up to the
protests and strikes of nurses, doctors,
(child)care workers, logistic and seasonal
workers in Bulgaria, Georgia, Austria, Romania,
the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany and France. We
learn from the struggle against the Romanian law
banning the discussion of 'gender' in education,
the migrants' transnational mobilizations and the
demonstrations for black lives. Building on these
collective experiences of struggle and their
power to challenge the status quo, we call women,
workers, migrants and LGBTQI+ people to join us
in an essential strike on the 8th of March. Our
strike strives to disrupt the current conditions
of our oppression and claim us a voice in the
conditions of the reconstruction. With our strike
we fight for the following demands:

Freedom from patriarchal violence in all its
forms! We see violence against women not as an
isolated event, but as part of the whole
patriarchal system that wants to make us stick to
the role of caregivers. We refuse to bear the
burden of essential work imposed on us through
violence and harassment. We oppose the attacks of
ultra-conservative governments and demand safe,
legal and free abortion and contraception in
every country. We demand an immediate stop of the
political and legislative attacks on LGBTQI+
communities.

Higher wages for all! Our feminist struggle over
wages is not simply against the gender pay gap,
but against the capitalist conditions which
produce and reproduce so many more wage
hierarchies between genders and ethnicities,
nationalities and whole regions. While the rich
have sought the pandemic as an opportunity to
amass more wealth, we are left behind to bear the
burden of austerity. Enough! We do not simply
claim wage equality of the genders, but higher
wages for all workers! We demand the
transnational redistribution of wealth! Let's
start taking back what is ours!

Well-funded and inclusive welfare
transnationally! We refuse reconstruction plans
that continue off-loading the costs of
decades-long welfare cutbacks on women and
migrants. We want to create transnational
connections between struggles for welfare, aids
and social security. Even though welfare
conditions differ from country to country, they
are based on the gender and racist division of
labour and wage differences that create
hierarchies between women of different
nationalities. We want to turn these hierarchies
into a common fight against patriarchal welfare
transnationally!

Unconditional European residence permit for
all migrants, refugees and asylum seekers! We
reject the way governments and bosses blackmail
migrants by imposing impossible economic and
institutional requirements necessary to obtain
and renew residence permits. This forces
migrants, especially from outside the EU, into
otherwise unacceptable working conditions.

Safe and better housing for all! By March 2020,
we were already in a deep housing crisis.
Throughout the pandemic our homes have become
politicized even more so beyond our agency and
consent! We demand adequate and financially
accessible housing for all, free from
overcrowding and precarious conditions! We call
for the immediate rehousing of persons that went
through domestic violence!

With our essential strike we want to show
that our lives and our struggles are essential!
Therefore, we need to join forces across the
borders. On the 8th of March we want to call
everyone to make visible the force of essential
labour and use it as a weapon to impose our terms
for the post-pandemic reconstruction!

We call on everyone to organize strikes in the
workplaces and outside of them, demonstrations,
marches, assemblies, flashmobs, symbolic actions,
pañuelazos, ruidazos! Let's push unions to
support the women strike! Let's imagine together
the ways to make our different struggles visible
and connect them across borders.

We call all women, migrants and workers who share
our vision and demands to join us for a public
assembly on the 21st of February where we will
discuss the horizons of our essential strike!

We invite everyone, who identifies with this
manifesto <https://forms.gle/zpNnciKrGZikBHB79>to
sign it, share it widely or translate it to their
language so that it can reach more women,
migrants and workers.

Our work is essential, our life is essential, our strike is essential!

Sign the manifesto
here: <https://forms.gle/zpNnciKrGZikBHB79>https://forms.gle/zpNnciKrGZikBHB79

Stay in touch with us on Facebook
(<https://www.facebook.com/EASTEssentialStruggles>EAST
- Essential Autonomous Struggles Transnational)
or by email
at <mailto:essentialstruggles at gmail.com>essentialstruggles at gmail.com.

E.A.S.T. (Essential Autonomous Struggles
Transnational) is a network composed mostly of

--

molly hankwitz - she/her

<http://bivoulab.org>http://bivoulab.org