[artinfo] Assembly for Commoning Art Institutions

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Oct 4 16:19:16 CEST 2019

"Our House is on Fire"
Assembly for Commoning Art Institutions
October 25-26, 2019

Casco Art Institute: Working for the Commons
Lange Nieuwstraat 7
3512 PA Utrecht
The Netherlands

<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=116335&N=27134&L=178903&F=H>casco.art
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=116335&N=27134&L=24926&F=H>
What practical measures will art and art institutions take to care
for our planetary commons with the power of imagination?

A global climate strike has kicked off. Yet the urgent assertion that
"our house is on fire" is complicated. It comes with a sense of not
knowing how to affect structural change. Behind the language of
"crisis," "urgency," and emergency" are corporations who see an
opportunity for new markets, pushing for technological innovation as
an all encompassing solution. Let's be clear about it: the climate
crisis is part of the same logic that feminists and anti-colonial
scholars have long since understood as "CPC"-colonialism, patriarchy,
capitalism-a system thriving on the exploitation of labor, precarity
of life, and inequality. Indigenous communities and farmers around
the world, whose lands have been stolen and destroyed, have struggled
with this crisis for centuries. Faced with this situation, the
burning question is how can we act as individuals or collectively, as
artists and art institutions? This question is especially relevant to
those of us who come from the industrialized nations that contribute
most to the crisis, while the disaster is felt most acutely by the
poorest and most vulnerable communities.

The second Assembly for commoning art institutions seeks to establish
concrete ways for art and art institutions to act and respond to
climate change, and aligns itself with the climate justice movement.
We propose to work together to deal with this struggle systematically
by incorporating it into the daily operations of artists and art
institutions. We will formulate a collective proposal for local and
national governmental policy with a focus on cultural institutions.
Let us use our imaginations to draft and issue a climate justice code
or guidelines for arts organizations. We will also consider other
codes already implemented in the Netherlands such as the Fair
Practice Code, the Cultural Diversity Code, and the Cultural
Governance Code, which are all closely interconnected.

Over two days we will hear from practitioners from diverse
backgrounds (activists, artists, lobbyists, and more) whose words
will inform the climate justice code, a code that all Assembly
participants will then shape in live editing sessions, break-out
groups, and as a plenary. Like last year's edition, the Assembly will
close with a collective pot experiment made up of financial and
non-financial contributions. For the latter form of contribution,
Assembly contributors and participants are asked to bring artworks,
objects, literature, poems, or anything else to inform the code.

The popular myth of "the tragedy of the commons" is based on a
misunderstanding and can rather be understood in terms of "the
tragedy of unmanaged commons" or even "the tragedy of free markets."
This tragedy as we see it applies to the mismanagement or
non-management of what we call the planetary commons. The commons,
defined simply as shared resources managed by a self-organizing
community, are conditioned by the ethics of caring and sharing
sustainability. By assembling art and art institutions, we as the
contributors and participants are exercising a much needed practice
for the planetary commons.

The second annual Assembly for commoning art institutions at Casco
Art Institute is an invitation to all of you who share the question
to pool resources-art, love, knowledge, money, time-and come together
to co-create what we could do from our office, galleries, and (post-)
studios.

Seats are limited so we encourage you to RSVP by Friday, October 11
via
<mailto:assembly at casco.art?subject=RSVP%20Our%20House%20is%20on%20Fire>assembly at casco.art.
Please use the subject line RSVP Our House is on Fire.

Our House is on Fire builds on the 2018 inaugural Assembly edition,
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=116335&N=27134&L=181898&F=H>Elephants
in the Room, which focused on methods of unlearning, especially for
the redistribution of power. Read more about it, about the collective
pot, and our thus far collected common resources,
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=116335&N=27134&L=181899&F=H>here.