[artinfo] Near Enough? - #nfcdab 2018, amsterdam. call for works
zsoltfm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 09:24:32 CEST 2018
Near Enough? – the amsterdam edition of the 3rd near-field communication digital art biennale – is calling for works! the idea is to take advantage of the potentials of near field (mis)communication and other sharing technologies for showcasing and making web-based digital art in outdoors settings. after gol(No) and warsaw(PL), #nfcdab#3 will come to amsterdam(NL) and go on to valencia(ES), wroclaw(PL) and possibly prague(CZ), berlin (DE), and athens(GR). the works are being shared between nodes! deadline for submissions is 31 july 2018!
exhibition dates: 5 -12 august 2018 with the exception of 11th.
location: tolhuistuin, https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=tolhuistuin#map=18/52.38372/4.90441
NFC tags, QR codes, routers (free hotspots), sensors.
keep in mind: A. human sensory pack, B. sensors in mobile devices, see: https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/
what we’re looking for:
– contextual, parasitic, virtual, imaginary, descriptive, phenomenological, mapping art.
– parasitic on art context and on human perception.
– the character is lo-budget and lo-tech, even to the degree of being ‘bricked’ (unresponsive) as a strategy against the spectacle which is technology.
– a focus on the relation between inert physical objects and their virtual counterpart in a broad sense being objects of our perception – coming alive, activated by innate or prostetic sensors.
– fictionalization, obfuscation, and muddling of information, activating associative, lateral, derailing storylines. a staging of events, not for common digestion all bombyx (written on a box of canned silk worm pupaes). there should always be the possibility that the biennale doesn’t exist. it may be a practical joke or simply a hallucination of arcane references found in public spaces, toilet walls, and bricked streets.
– the works can be textual descriptions of possible or impossible artworks for the locations. invert works to ‘prompts’ for activating the subject ‘in place of the work’.
– alternative mapping strategies between physical and virtual.
– how the tech can be used to invert modes of exhibition and perception.
– people can act like sensors, works can be prompts – an activation of your innate senses.
– descriptive art, the code-tag can act as a prompt for people to write, to email, web or nfc message board.
– a description of a virtual artwork (‘imaginary works of art in certain locations’, joubin), or reinterpretation of a real (or virtual!) work at site.
– hybrid object, virtual-real, the tag refers to its virtual counter-part, complement/undermine/commenting it.
– an object’s memory, available to the decoder, and collected by (mail/web/nfcboard).
– virtual graffiti, a camera obscura – creating of an inverted virtual-physical space.
– ambulating, walking, tagging, flaneur.
– content playable or bricked on mobile, portable devices, human senses and imagination.
– whatever you can conjure up related to the call, even if it is of a contrary stance.
– interventions and tripwires.
– submissions should contain: title, author, url or file(s), sticker graphics fitting on 9x 4,5cm in a landscape orientation with QR code title, author + whatever. we will print, cut and paste them onto the plantersigns. multiple stickers with QR codes are possible when needed! see: more works or text based works that are longer than approx. 255 words presented only on QR code. if you wish you can send us a NFC tag or an explanation why you need a NFC tag! sorry, guys we are working with a shoestring budget!
to: iheartmyart at browserbased.org
subject: Near Enough? nfcdab# 2018
we will be greatful if you spread the word and forward the call!
URL shortener: https://bitly.com/
QR code generator: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/
More information about the Artinfo