[artinfo] Theme of International Museum Day 2015 announced

Kovacs Janos kovacsjanos at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 15:24:01 CET 2014

Theme of International Museum Day 2015 has been announced as
"Museums for a Sustainable Society", to take place on 18 May 2015.

The initiative was created in 1977 by the International Council
of Museums (ICOM), with the aim of raising awareness about the
role of museums in the development of society. In 2014, 35,000
museums from 145 countries took part.

Professor Hans-Martin Hinz, President of ICOM said in a statement:
"Museums, as educators and cultural mediators, are adopting
an increasingly vital role in contributing to the definition
and implementation of sustainable development and practices.
Museums must be able to guarantee their role in safeguarding
cultural heritage, given the increasing precariousness of ecosystems,
situations of political instability, and the associated natural
and man-made challenges that may arise. Museum work, through
education and exhibitions for example, should strive to create a
sustainable society. We must do everything we can to ensure that
museums are part of the cultural