[artinfo] Fwd: We Roma: A Critical Reader in Contemporary Art

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Tue Sep 24 23:00:27 CEST 2013

We Roma: A Critical Reader in Contemporary Art

Edited by Daniel Baker and Maria Hlavajova

Published by *BAK*, basis voor actuele kunst, Utrecht and *Valiz*, book
and cultural projects, Amsterdam

http://www.bak-utrecht.nl

We Roma: A Critical Reader in Contemporary Art, edited by Daniel Baker
(artist, curator, and researcher; London) and Maria Hlavajova (artistic
director of BAK, Utrecht), inquires into the contemporary moment
through the lens of Roma artistic and intellectual practices,
gathering
knowledge from the Roma way of life. As the so-called West's
misconceptions of itself, inherited from the legacy of the modern, are
being unmasked through unprecedented shifts in politics, society,
aesthetics, and economics-what can we learn from the commonalities
among political struggles of historically marginalized communities
such as Roma and in what we know as majority society? With the
emblematic claim in the artistic imaginary "we Roma," with which we
appeal to wider society-how can we invoke the possibility of a
different world and alternative futures? Artists, theorists, writers,
and activists-both Roma and non-Roma-speculate on such questions and
the possibility of art to imagine the world otherwise.

To order a copy of We Roma: A Critical Reader in Contemporary Art/,
please send an e-mail to info at bak-utrecht.nl or visit the website of
Valiz at http://www.valiz.nl