[artinfo] Artist Edi Rama is officially Prime Minister of Albania

newsletter at flashartonline.com newsletter at flashartonline.com
Sat Jun 29 00:12:11 CEST 2013

Artist Edi Rama is officially Prime Minister of Albania

Let's hope that Tirana will now become a world capital for art, with
studios and low-cost housing for artists, critics and gallerists from
around the world.

  After an overwhelming victory with an absolute majority, artist Edi
Rama is the new Prime Minister of Albania. With an aggressive,
intelligent and very motivated election campaign, Edi Rama, who had
already flirted with success in previous elections, has this time
out-matched his opponent, gaining an absolute majority.

  We wish our friend Edi all the best, especially during this
economically precarious time. But apparently Albania is one of the
few European countries experiencing growth. We therefore ask our
longtime friend, who yesterday morning, by telephone, confirmed his
overwhelming victory, to make Tirana a capital of the European art
world. Edi, who over a decade ago, as the mayor of Tirana,
transformed the gray city into a festive multi-hued landscape. A
painter himself, he had the facades of Tirana's buildings painted a
variety of colors; this metamorphosis also became a video produced in
conjunction with Anri Sala-his fellow student and artistic
colleague-that was first shown at the Venice Biennale in 2003.

  Artist Edi Rama, now Prime Minister of Albania, still loves art and
always considers himself an artist (in January this year, with Anri
Sala, he opened a beautiful exhibition at Rudiger Schoettle in
Munich). We ask him, because we know that it is possible, to
transform an area of Tirana into an affordable neighborhood where
creativity can be fostered, where artists, critics, curators and
gallery owners can live and build a sustainable community, creating
galleries, nonprofit spaces and open studios. In short, a haven for
artists and art lovers who want to experience art, its problems and
contradictions. Like Berlin, except in a sunny Mediterranean climate.

We know that Edi Rama would like to do this. And more importantly, he can.

Giancarlo Politi
giancarlo.politi at tin.it