[artinfo] Digital Networks and Social Innovation: Strategies of the Imagination

Eugenio Tisselli cubo23 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 10:19:24 CET 2012

Hello,

I wrote "Digital Networks and Social Innovation: Strategies of the
Imagination", in 2008. It was published as a chapter of the
book "Cultural Expression, Creativity and Innovation", volume III of
the Cultures and Globalization series, SAGE Publications.

According to the contract I signed then, I can now share it freely.
So here it is:
<http://motorhueso.net/text/strategiesOfTheImagination_tisselli.pdf>http://motorhueso.net/text/strategiesOfTheImagination_tisselli.pdf

With an excerpt: "The users' rights to modify the technologies they
use and adapt them to unintended but legitimate purposes are being
fought for in heated battles. At the core of creative usage and
misusage lies appropriation, a negotiation about power and control
over the configuration of technology, its standards, modes of usage
and the distribution of its benefits. Appropriation is a strategy
which deeply affects the politics of daily life. In our digital age,
it can be seen as a starting point for deep social change. As users,
we must face the question of whether we are continuously performing
scripts dictated by the interests of technological corporations, or
fulfilling our real needs of expression, access and equality. We must
face the growing tension between dominance, expressed through the
top-down imposition of standards, and agency, represented by our
freedom to access and reshape technology. Yes, the flat, democratic
appearance of digital networks may just be the perfect disguise of
capitalist authoritarianism."

I hope you'll still find it useful after all these years.

Best wishes,
Eugenio.