[artinfo] Careful! Risk - Perspectives for Art Academies

Art&Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Tue Jul 12 15:49:51 CEST 2011

Careful! Risk
Art and Science / Art and the production of
knowledge - Perspectives for Art Academies

Symposium
9-11 November 2011

<http://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=2690&N=746&L=769&F=H>www.hbk-bs.de

Wanting to know what something is, means wanting
to examine it. Out of pure curiosity or with
practical intentions, research is risky. I reach
for something that is still unknown and don't
know what will happen. Research extends the store
of knowledge and at the same time questions it by
renewing knowledge from the ground up. Careful,
research! Research can topple everything I
thought I knew. Knowledge is transient, like
everything else.

With recent developments in contemporary art and
cultural theory and also current trends in the
development of German and European art academies,
the question of the relationship between art and
science is of vital importance. One part of the
conference will deal with forms, possibilities,
and the limits of dissolution of the boundaries
between art and science, with a collaboration of
artists (Ulrike Grossarth, Tacita Dean, Michael
Stevenson), designers (Ruedi Bauer, Annette
Stahmer, André Heers) and scientists from the
fields of art and cultural science and philosophy
(Mario Perniola, Kathrin Busch, Frauke Tomczak).
The term "artistic research" can act as the main
point of departure and designate the artistic
production process, not only in the fine arts but
also in the areas of design, theatre, film,
literature, music and dance.

A further section will gather teaching artists,
designers and scientists from various European
art academies to discuss the developments of
their institutions with regard to study courses
in art, design, and theory. With a view to the
still imminent changes in study structures at the
HBK as a result of the Bologna Reform, it is
fundamentally important to raise the issue of the
dissolving of borders between the arts, design,
and sciences. What possibilities and also what
risks does the shaping of this constellation
present for an art academy today?

As an art academy, the Braunschweig University of
Art will be turning 50 in 2013. The conference
Careful! Risk has the task of stimulating a
debate at the HBK about the objectives it will be
setting for itself in the future.

The conference is organized by Prof. Dr. Hannes
Böhringer, Dr. Susanne Märtens and the
Braunschweig University of Art.

We cordially invite you to register at the
following e-mail address:
<mailto:vorsicht%5F-wagnis at hbk-bs.de>vorsicht°©-wagnis at hbk-bs.de

Hochschule für Bildende Künste Braunschweig
Leitung Referat Presse und Kommunikation
Johannes-Selenka-Platz 1
38118 Braunschweig