[artinfo] Working Artists and the Greater Economy (W.A.G.E.) announces our next meeting

e-Flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Wed Jan 14 02:33:03 CET 2009

   Working Artists and the Greater Economy (W.A.G.E.),

   an activist group of artists, art workers, performers and independent
   curators fighting to get paid for our labor, announces our next
   meeting:

   Thursday, Jan 22, 2009, 7 pm

   Judson Church Assembly Hall

   239 Thompson St. , NYC

   http://www.wageforwork.com

   W.A.G.E. works to draw attention to economic inequalities that exist
   in the arts, and to resolve them.

   W.A.G.E. has been formed because we, as visual + performance artists
   and independent curators, provide a work force.
   W.A.G.E. recognizes the organized irresponsibility of the art market
   and its supporting institutions, and demands an end of the refusal to
   pay fees for the work we're asked to provide: preparation,
   installation, presentation, consultation, exhibition and reproduction.
   W.A.G.E. refutes the positioning of the artist as a speculator and
   calls for the remuneration of cultural value in capital value.
   W.A.G.E. believes that the promise of exposure is a liability in a
   system that denies the value of our labor.
   As an unpaid labor force within a robust art market from which others
   profit greatly,
   W.A.G.E. recognizes an inherent exploitation and demands compensation.
   W.A.G.E. calls for an address of the economic inequalities that are
   prevalent, and pro-actively preventing the art worker's ability to
   survive within the greater economy.
   We demand payment for making the world more interesting.

   W.A.G.E. wo/manifesto, 2009