[artinfo] Fwd: >>Day of the White Flag<< on October 18th, 2008

kaszas tibor kaszastt at freemail.hu
Wed Oct 15 10:22:32 CEST 2008

I N V I T A T I O N F O R P A R T I C I P A T I O N

>>DON'T FORGET OCTOBER 18TH, THE INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE WHITE FLAG!<<
The Akademie Schloss Solitude reminds of Johannes Cladders' initiative
and invites everybody to participate

On the 18th of October 1988, the artist Johannes Cladders hoisted a
white flag on the demarcation line between Eastern and Western
Jerusalem. In respect of this unique action, which didn't necessarily
find the agreement of the local administration and population,
Akademie Schloss Solitude supports the initiative of Johannes
Cladders. 20 years later, on the 18th of October 2008, Akademie
Schloss Solitude will launch the >>International Day of the White
Flag<<: We are inviting people from all over the world to hang a white
flag from their house or window on this day.

As part of the international network of Akademie Schloss Solitude we
would like to cordially invite you to participate and point the way
with a white flag. All participants are asked to inform us about their
participation and send us a (photographic) documentation of their
action on the international day of the white flag to the following
email address: whiteflag at akademie-solitude.de.

Finally, the Akademie will also hoist a white flag on October 18th on
the cupola of the baroque castle Solitude in Stuttgart.

Johannes Cladders describes the white flag as follows:
>>It consists of a piece of fabric or of any other comparable material.
Its dimension and shape can be objectively described. Beside the white
color it doesn't contain any further information. For this reason it
is open to any art of individual and corporative interpretation: From
the symbolic of the color to the endless meanings in the context of
politics, war and peace, religion, philosophy, sciences, moral,
history of culture and art. The white flag means freedom. Who is
hoisting it on the 18th of October gives a sign for it.<<

The artist Johannes Cladders, born 1924 in Krefeld, is the former
founding director of the Museum Abteiberg in Moenchengladbach and was
awarded the German Prize for Architecture (together with Hans Hollein)
for the new museum building in 1984. He is also well known under his
artistic name >>Caesar<<.

For further information on the >>day of the white flag<<, please visit
our website http://www.akademie-solitude.de/232_fellows_projects.php?lastpage=index.php

--
<< Saluton el Absurdistano >>

Játssz! Amőba, szófoci, biliárd, póker, sakk&#8230;kapcsolódj be, hogy kikapcsolódj :)