[artinfo] Symposium: Canvases and Careers Today

e-Flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Mon Dec 10 09:55:15 CET 2007

Symposium: Canvases and Careers Today

Saturday, 15 December, 3p.m. Aula, Städelschule
Sunday, 16 December, 2 p.m. Theater of Immanence, Portikus

This conference takes up the propositions of
Harrison and Cynthia White's seminal study,
"Canvases and Careers" (1965). It deliberately
avoids the usual pessimistic accounts that
deplore criticism's supposed powerlessness.
Instead of mourning its obsolescence thereby
adopting the perspective of a history of decay,
we propose a different take on the situation. We
want to assess the changes resulting from the
current "market-imperialism" (Ulrich Bröckling)
as structural and functional changes. As much as
new competence profiles have emerged, criticism's
function seems to be renegotiated as well. It is
the premise of this conference that criticism is
faced with new constraints AND new spaces of
possibility.

While it is certainly true that criticism has
very little impact on the secondary market, it
nevertheless represents a commodity that is
highly in demand in other spheres since an
economy based on knowledge production desperately
wants to incorporate it.

Harrison and Cynthia White famously coined the
term "dealer-critic-system". According to them,
it replaced the academic system in late 19th
century due to the special needs of the
impressionist movement. We want to ask if it is
still a "dealer-critic-system" that makes an
artist's career? Wouldn't it be more precise to
speak of a "dealer-collector-system"? There can
be no doubt that we are currently faced with a
high degree of mobility between the commercial
and the institutional spheres. Presently clearly
circumscribed competence profiles have become
fluid. New types of critic-curators,
collector-dealers or artist-gallerist-critics
emerge everywhere. Is this a sign of an
emancipatory end of a formerly rigid division of
labor? Or does this enlargement of competence
simply correspond to the postfordist call for
flexibility and mobility?

Saturday 15 December

Aula, Staatliche Hochschule fuer Bildende Kuenste
-- Staedelschule, Duererstr. 10, 60596 Frankfurt
am Main, Germany

3.p.m. Welcome: Daniel Birnbaum
Introduction: Isabelle Graw: Long live criticism!

3.20 p.m. George Baker: Late Criticism
3.40 p.m. Response: André Rottmann
Followed by discussion

4:30 p.m. Johanna Burton: More Than This
4:50 p.m. Response: Julia Voss
Followed by discussion

5:30 p.m. John Kelsey: The Hack
6:00 p.m. Response: Merlin Carpenter
Discussion/End

Sunday 16th December

Theater of Immanence, Portikus, Alte Brücke 2,
60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

2:00 p.m. Resumé Daniel Birnbaum/Isabelle Graw

2:10 p.m. Branden Joseph: Later than Late
2:30 p.m. Response: Tom Holert
Followed by discussion

3:00 p.m. Melanie Gilligan: The Contemporary Social Market.
3:30 p.m. Response: Isabelle Graw
Followed by discussion

4-4:30 p.m. END

Contacts:
Staatliche Hochschule für Bildende Künste - Städelschule
Dürerstr. 10
60596 Frankfurt am Main
Germany
tel.: +49 69 60 50 08 -0