[artinfo] Call for Work: State of Exception

Wago Kreider wagokreider at studio27.org
Thu May 18 06:26:25 CEST 2006

Studio 27, a  micro-cinema showcasing experimental media in the San Francisco Bay Area, is looking for recent short videos and films. Our next screening, in July, takes its title and theme from the book State of Exception by Georgio Agamben. Agamben describes a political condition that has a compelling contemporary resonance, especially in the United States. In states of siege or war, governmental institutions have justified the suspension of civil law, arguing that the higher law of sustaining the state's well-being requires that certain civil liberties be withheld. We are interested in showing documentary and experimental media that responds to this condition, or that opens a dialogue for discussing the necessity or consequences of the current administration's direction. We welcome work from all sides of the political spectrum.

Possible themes might include: human rights and responsibilities, conditions of crisis that are under-represented, the impact of terrorism on everyday life, subversive action and celebration, the degradation of basic civil liberties, the resurgence of racism and discrimination, nationalism and xenophobia, $ymbols for a better tomorrow, new techniques for keeping the public anxious or apathetic, how enhanced surveillance technologies are eroding our privacy, immigration and alienation, and incarceration without due process.

For more information on our ongoing quarterly series visit www.studio27.org

We will accept work under 30 minutes in length on data DVDs (as a Quicktime movie file, especially for digital animations), playable DVDs (all region), or MiniDVs (ntsc).

Submission Deadline (received by): June 30, 2006

Include with your submission a brief written description of the work, and a short filmmaker bio.  Also include a SASE if you would like your materials returned to you (only U.S. mail will be returned). Please indicate where you saw this call for work.

Mail to:

Wago Kreider
Studio 27
633 Post Street, #11