[artinfo] my-ci: network of creative industries researchers & practitioners

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Fri May 5 23:21:39 CEST 2006

Invitation to join "my-ci", a new email list on the "creative industries"

MyCreativity: International Network of Creative Industries
Researchers & Practitioners

Conference: 17-18 November, 2006, Amsterdam

On November 17-18, 2006 the Institute of Network Cultures and the
Centre for Media Research, University of Ulster will organise
MyCreativity, a Convention of International Creative Industries
Researchers. MyCreativity is a two-day conference that intends to
bring the trends and tendencies around the Creative Industries into
critical question. It seeks to address the local, intra-regional and
trans-national variations that constitute international creative
industries as an uneven field of actors, interests and conditions.
The conference explores a range of key topics that, in the majority
of cases, remain invisible to both academic research and
policy-making in the creative industries.

Overall, the conference adopts a comparative focus in order to
illuminate the variability of international creative industries. Such
an approach enables new questions to be asked about the mutually
constitutive tensions between the forces, practices, histories and
policies that define creative production, distribution and
organisation within an era of information economies and network
cultures.This conference wishes to bring these trends and tendencies
into critical question. It seeks to address the local, intra-regional
and trans-national variations that constitute international creative
industries as an uneven field of actors, interests and conditions.
The conference explores a range of key topics that, in the majority
of cases, remain invisible to both academic research and
policy-making in the creative industries.

Topics include:

= Critique of Creative Industries
= Creative Labour and Precarity
= Creative Industries--Made in Europe
= Creative Industries and the Arts
= Complementary and Alternative Business Models
= Subterranean Creativity

In preparation for this event a mailing list has been set up (see
above for url). We are interested in this list opening up to people
engaged in activities that relate to the creative industries, however
that term may be understood.  So if you're an artist, policy analyst,
academic, web designer, programmer, careers adviser, journalist,
architect, musician, filmmaker, property speculator, sound engineer,
working in service industries and... what else? Your call. Please
join our list for preparatory discussions and debates that aim to add
details to how we make sense of the creative industries.

Materials from the list will not only build an archive on the
creative industries in the months leading up to the convention, they
may also filter their way into the publication we will assemble in
the months following the event.  So please consider joining the
MyCreativity mailing list, and posting your ideas, experiences,
essays, reports, critiques, etc. The list will be a vehicle for a
hopefully lively and diverse research network. It is planned that the
list will continue after the November event in Amsterdam.

Confirmation of speakers will be announced soon. The list will start
in the first week of May.

MyCreativity: Convention of International Creative Industries Researchers