[artinfo] [rep_art] Call for Artists: Proposals wanted concerning the worldwide decline of personal time

by way of Adele Eisenstein <adele at c3.hu> art.news at shintai-z.com
Tue Oct 18 02:01:30 CEST 2005

Greetings,

My name is Milena Placentile, and I am a Canadian curator of contemporary
art currently living in Denmark. I am working on an exhibition about time,
and the fact that people around the world are recognizing that they have
less and less of it than ever before. In particular, I would like emphasize
the absurdity of social systems that obligate people to work unreasonable
hours under the promise of future comfort and security but at the expense
of a decent quality of life in the present.

As I would like the exhibition to offer a global perspective, so I am
seeking five or six artists/collaboratives from different parts of the
world. In addition, I am looking for projects that do more than reiterate
the reality of everyday stress-overload by encouraging audiences to reflect
on whom we are working for and why, what are we giving up, and for what
larger purpose. I have attached the call for artists below.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have about this
exhibition. I look forward to your response.

With best regards,
Milena

---Call for Artists: Proposals Wanted Concerning the Worldwide Decline of
Personal Time---

What do we lose when we sacrifice increasing amounts of personal time in
order to make a living? What are the alternatives?

Artists are invited to submit proposals for intervention-based projects
that address the absurdity of social systems that obligate people to work
unreasonable hours under the promise of future comfort and security but at
the expense of a decent quality of life in the present.

The structure of the exhibition program will largely consist of off-site
events; however, artists should also consider components for installation
within a gallery setting. Collaborative, interdisciplinary projects are
particularly encouraged.

Proposals should include the following:

- Artist's statement
- Curriculum vitae with all current contact information
- Up to 10 small image files with an image list, and/or URLs for
audio/video files and/or Internet-based work

To propose artworks/events that have not yet been produced/performed,
please provide a detailed description of intent in addition to support
materials documenting past work.

All submissions should be directed to info at shintai-z.com before November
15, 2005.

Email is the preferred format for submissions. Please provide all text in
the message body, or attached as a .pdf. Small image files (.jpg, .gif, or
.tif) are welcome, but please note that other types of attachments will not
be opened.

If it is completely necessary to send a submission by regular mail, please
note that only packages including sufficient postage will be returned. Hard
copy submissions may be sent to the following address:

Milena Placentile
c/o A. Poulsen
Kvisselholtvej 38
DK-9330 Dronninglund
Denmark

------
The republicart mailing list functions as an open forum to post
announcements and exchange information on projects, events, publications
etc. related to participatory, interventionist and activist practices in
public art.
info/archive/subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://mailman.t0.or.at/wwsympa.fcgi/info/republicart-list