[artinfo] Call For Submissions : SubtleTechnologies 2006

by way of Janos Sugar cinetron at passport.ca
Mon Nov 14 11:23:19 CET 2005

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Deadline: January 15th 2006
9th Annual Subtle Technologies Festival investigates Architecture and
Responsiveness in 2006
June 1st - June 4th, 2006
University of Toronto, Toronto Canada
Recognized internationally as a forum that encourages new insights
and collaborations, Subtle Technologies invites artists and
scientists to contemplate how art and science can work together and
reshape perspectives. The gathering will include four days of
presentations including illustrated talks, gallery installations,
workshops and discussions. Subtle Technologies events encourage
active discussion and draws upon the wide-ranging perspectives of
participants and audience members. The extraordinary interest of
highly specialized topics and often-unexpected threads woven between
presentations make the festival a unique experience.
This year's theme for Subtle Technologies is Responsive Architecture.
We are interested in investigating how environments and systems can
interact and respond to their occupants. We hope for wide-ranging
discussions and presentations that explore dynamic systems and
environments at every scale, from molecules to continents. The
conference will include a wide definition of architecture that
encompasses buildings, mechanical and natural environments.
Examples of possible topics include:
Interactive systems
Smart materials
Buildings that can move and transform
Adaptive environments
Hybrid ecologies
Complex systems analysis
Expanded perception
Within this general theme, sound and acoustics will be a special
focus. The 2006 festival is being held in partnership with SoundaXis,
a Toronto-wide event inspired by the work of renowned
architect-composer Iannis Xenakis.
Specialized topics include:
Resonance
Spatial acoustics
Physics of sound
Psychoacoustics
Sound Installations

We encourage demonstrations and can accommodate a wide variety of
presentations. Technical support and honoraria for presenters is
included.
Summaries of past presentations are archived on our website. We
encourage those interested in submitting a proposal to acquaint
themselves with our history of programming.
The festival is open to the public and presentations should be
accessible to a non-specialized audience. Presentations typically
last 40 minutes, followed by a ten minute question and answer period.

Deadline for Proposals
January 15, 2005.

How to Apply
Use our online submission form:
http://www.subtletechnologies.com/submissions/submission_form.html

If you have any questions feel free to contact us at
programming at subtletechnologies.com