[artinfo] Baudrillard Conference CFP

Alan Shapiro AlanShapiro at compuserve.com
Fri May 20 09:35:50 CEST 2005

CALL FOR PAPERS

ENGAGING BAUDRILLARD:
An International Multi-Disciplinary Conference

4-6th September 2006 at
Swansea University, United Kingdom

Celebrating the establishment of the International Journal of
Baudrillard Studies we are pleased to announce the first international,
multi-disciplinary conference on Baudrillard's work to be held in the
United Kingdom.

Jean Baudrillard is one of the world's most well-known, important, and
talked about thinkers; the author of over 30 books and innumerable
articles; and the inventor of a vast array of influential concepts and
suggestive strategies that have touched upon an extremely diverse
range of fields.

Although his work was initially received within the context of debates
over postmodernism, the last decade has witnessed a more rounded and
nuanced appreciation of the full complexity of Baudrillard's oeuvre.
The enrichment of our engagement with his ideas, concepts and strategies
has primarily been accomplished in a variety of disciplinary contexts.
However, the proliferation of engagements across a host of academic
disciplines and non-academic arenas poses the problem of how we can
gather together and make sense of the numerous versions of Baudrillard.

Accordingly, the conference aims to explore how Baudrillard's work has
been taken up within different disciplines; to consider how these
relate to one another; and to ponder their likely legacy.  Thus, the
conference will bring together people from all disciplines who have
engaged with Baudrillard's ideas, including enthusiasts, critics and  sceptics.

Abstracts are invited for papers from scholars in all disciplines. The
conference will be organised into panels, themed by academic
discipline, exploring Baudrillard's contribution to each field and
considering how specific scholars have taken up, interpreted and
employed his ideas.

Possible disciplinary panels include:

*       Sociology
*       Cultural Studies
*       Media and Communication Studies
*       Geography and Urban Studies
*       Cyberculture
*       Politics, International Relations & Conflict Studies
*       Literature & Literary Theory
*       Gender Studies
*       Photography and the Arts
*       Visual Culture
*       Film Studies
*       Architecture
*       Anthropology
*       Philosophy
*       American Studies
*       French Studies
*       Management Studies
*       History and Cultural History

Abstracts of no more than 200 words should be sent to William Merrin
<w.merrin at swan.ac.uk> by 30th September 2005.

Participants should also please indicate which disciplinary panel(s)
they would like to present within. Possible panels are listed above but
suggestions for others are also welcome at this initial stage. As the
conference aims to promote the future of Baudrillard studies we would
especially welcome abstracts from doctoral students & non-academics
currently employing Baudrillardian ideas and themes in their work. A
selection of papers will be published in (1) International Journal of
Baudrillard Studies; (2) special issues of other international journals;
and (3) an edited book.

For all enquiries please contact:

William Merrin
Department of Media and Communications