[artinfo] call for papers and project: art & politics of netporn (Amsterdam, oct. 05)

by way of Adele Eisenstein <adele at c3.hu> geert at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 25 14:23:24 CET 2005

CALL FOR PAPERS and ART PROJECTS

The Art and Politics of Netporn

Institute of Network Cultures,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
6-7 October, 2005

WHAT IS NETPORN?  Web-based media and environments that filter porn
images and traffic between industries and art/indie cultures,
corporations, ISP's and net users; involving daily (female and male)
activities such as blogging, webcamming, chatting, binging on porn
portals, p2p porn, live journals, confession boards, mailing lists and
zines.

THEORY AND POLITICS: New waves of netporn censorship have a clear  affect
on artistic freedom and our sexual bodies. We would like to  engage in
discussions of globalization, freedom of speech, (self)  censorhip and
government/institutional surveillance of traffic, of sex  cultures and
networked minorities. Does netporn corroborate the image  regimes of
'cruelty,' a wide-spread creation of appetite for violence,  terrorism,
war on innocence and sexual otherness, openness.  What are  the
alternatives?

ART PROJECTS:  We are looking for new openings, new definitions and
articulation of pornography, 'art' as solo path or collaborative wisdom, a
tactical media approach to netporn for belly wisdom and  processing media
histories. As Matteo Pasquinelli ponders in 'Warporn  Warpunk! Autonomous
Videopoesis in Wartime,' we are grinning monkeys  who seek war and torture
news as a type of pornography, but can we use  netporn to nurture our
inner beasts and media intellects?

DISCUSSIONS: Netporn is an intricate fabrication of desires and mechanisms
of repression. Debate means recognizing and re-drawing the  contours of
hype and hysteria, of polemics and polarization, discussing  netporn as
local and global phantasms, or cross-fertilization between  economies,
desire and art/queer politics.  Discussions will be opened  February 2005
on a web-based mailinglist and will continue in plenary  sessions at the
conference.

Please submit 250-word abstracts for papers/panels, or art/media
projects about the following topics. In your abstracts indicate what  type
of media you need for your presentation, and please include an  address
where you can be reached.

Censorship
Representation
Aesthetics