[artinfo] SPARKVIDEO PRESENTS MATT MCCORMICK WED OCT 13TH

Spark Video spark at 640480.com
Wed Oct 13 03:59:33 CEST 2004

SparkVideo Presents...
>From Tugboats to Polar Bears
A TOURING COLLECTION OF SHORT FILMS BY MATT MCCORMICK

Spark Contemporary Art Space
Wednesday, October 13th, 8pm
<http://www.rodeofilmco.com>

Award winning independent filmmaker Matt McCormick will be visiting Spark to
present ³From Tugboats to Polar Bears,² a collection of short films he has
made over the past five years that is being released on DVD by the
Peripheral Produce video label. Matt¹s work blurs the line between
documentary and experimental filmmaking, and fashions abstract and witty
observations of contemporary culture and current issues.

Matt's work has screened in film festivals, galleries, and D.I.Y. art spaces
around the globe, appeared on MTV and the Sundance Channel, and has received
positive reviews from the likes of The New York Times and Film Comment
magazine. Matt has worked and collaborated with many artists and musicians,
including The Shins, Miranda July, The Postal Service, and Calvin Johnson.
Matt has had three films screen at the Sundance Film Festival, and has
received awards including Best Short Film from the San Francisco
International Film Fest, Best Experimental from the New York Underground
Film Fest, and Grand Prize from the Media City Film Fest. His film ŒThe
Subconscious Art of Graffiti Removal¹ was also named as one of the ŒTop 10
Films of 2002¹ by both The Village Voice and Art Forum magazine.

Please visit <http://www.640480.com/spark/> for more info.

ABOUT SPARKVIDEO:
With the implementation of a monthly video series in 2001, Spark
Contemporary Art Space emerged as the leading venue for Video Art in
Syracuse, New York. In 2003 Spark expanded, adding a second venue in Beacon,
New York and this season we have expanded again, opening a third venue in
London Canada. For our current programming year, each monthly event will
consist of one SPARK VIDEO INTERNATIONAL program and one program of
community based video known as SPARK HOME VIDEO .The result is a monthly
series that supports local exhibition, stimulates community through
International exhibition and curatorial collaboration, and provides a new
audience for artists living all over the world.

SparkVideo is now available on DVD. To purchase DVD programs or for more
information about submissions or other inquiries,
please email: spark at 640480.com
or visit our website: <http://www.640480.com/spark/>

 -------------------------------
SPARKVIDEO CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
 -------------------------------

DEADLINE:
Ongoing - earlier entries will be given preference due to time restraints.
We are seeking work for our 2004-2005 programming year and will be until
April 1st, 2005.

GUIDELINES:
Videos should be short -- under 15.00 minutes. All types of
independent/non-commercial                work is accepted: experimental,
documentary, narrative, non-narrative, controversial, political, personal,
sexual, etc... Commercial productions and Music Videos need not apply.
International and Domestic submissions are encouraged.

FORMATS ACCEPTED:
VHS (NTSC and PAL), DVD(NTSC), MiniDV or DVCAM (NTSC Only), 8/Hi8/Digital
8(NTSC Only). Please include: Synopsis, Bio, CV and Contact Information,
please also indicate whether you'd like to be considered for inclusion on
our DVD publications. SASE required for tape return. Otherwise, all
submissions will be added to the Spark Contemporary Art Space Video Library
for possible inclusion in future curatorial projects. Artists will be
contacted for permission prior to having their work included in other
programs. Unfortunately, Artist Fees cannot be paid at this time.

THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL ENTRY FORMS OR ENTRY FEES.

SEND ALL MATERIALS TO:

Jeremy Bailey
c/o Department of Art Media Studies
Syracuse University