[artinfo] (fwd) Karl Mohr: environmental online song contest

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Mon Jun 21 08:43:22 CEST 2004

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:58:53 -0400
From: info at karlmohr.com

KARL MOHR NEWS - June 14th, 2004

1. CONTEST:  "ADD YOUR VOICE"

"ADD YOUR VOICE" CONTEST

My latest song "Atomic Power" suggests the phasing out of nuclear
power plants and the use of clean energy:  solar and wind power.
Towards the aim of having hundreds of voices singing this one message
in unison on my song, I am offering a contest.  For the
uncompetitive, think of it as a massive, sung petition.

Please forward to individuals who may not be on this mailing list.
Please post to green- and music-related mailing lists.

This contest description is also available at:
http://www.karlmohr.com/contest.html

WHAT'S ENVIRO-POWER?

In Canada, clean power (solar, wind, biomass, geo) make up a mere
1.4% of the total generated electricity.  A wealth of information has
been written on clean power and its benefits:
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html

Supporters of nuclear power should definitely visit:
http://www.fact-index.com/l/li/list_of_nuclear_accidents.html
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html  (hoax or no hoax, it's a
good documentary)

Private solar and wind generation on your own property is the best
means to eco-friendly, independent and inexpensive electricity.
Electricity is all around us - don't pay someone to ship it to you -
get off the grid!  Exercise your right to a self-sustaining home.

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy.  What a source of
power!  I hope we don't have to wait 'til oil and coal run out before
we tackle that."
Thomas Edison, 1847-1931

THE CONTEST

Thanks to the wide availability of music software and recording
gadgets, a contest like this is possible:  download the reference
audio files, record your own vocal tracks for the final chorus of the
song, mail or email your recording to our studio, it will be mixed
with all the other entrants to form a global choir that collectively
builds an anthem.  Your name (or the name of your group) will be
added to the list of credits.

My band and I will objectively judge and award the best vocal entry
based on performance, flair, and creativity -- for both the lead
vocal and the backup vocal.  Men, women, children, young, old - all
are invited to enter.

Group singing, ensembles, children and also remote recordings (from
rallies, parties) are all especially welcome.  All received
recordings will end up in the final mix.

Contest closes:  August 6th (with respect for Hiroshima, 1945).

PRIZES

The prizes for the best lead vocal and for the best backup vocal:

A bundle of KARL MOHR releases including:
- Blue Visions CD (unreleased chill house album)
- Vampires in Clubland CD
- Blue Visions 12" (signed, white-label test pressing)
- Minefield remix 12" (signed, white-label test pressing)
- (2) randomly-chosen cassettes from the collection (delivered on CD)

Prizes will be announced on September 5th at 3:45pm via the mailing
list.  (At that time in 1945, ZEEP successfully achieved the first
atomic fission in Canada.  The announcement of the prizes on this
date reminds of the beginning of the environmental hazards we now
associate with nuclear power and plant decommissioning in Canada.)

EVERYBODY WINS

All entrants will have their sung tracks added to the final mix and
their name placed in the credits.  The final mix will be posted at
karlmohr.com as a permanent MP3 file you can point your friends to.
The song will also be released on the upcoming KARL MOHR album.

PROCEDURE

1.  Download the original song and the sheet music:

*** the song is in Eb major, 69 BPM

*** the original song, in MP3 format is here:
http://www.slootsky.org/~karl/latest.mp3

*** the .wav file of the final chorus (including my own crazy vocal
tracks) is here: [30 MB !!!]
http://www.slootsky.org/~karl/contest/atomicpowervox.wav

*** the .wav file of the final chorus (instrumental only) is here: [30 MB !!!]
http://www.slootsky.org/~karl/contest/atomicpowerinst.wav

*** the .pdf sheet music of the final chorus is here:
http://www.slootsky.org/~karl/contest/atomicpowerscore.pdf

*** the full song lyrics are here:
http://www.karlmohr.com/noflash/lyrics/lyratompwr.html

2.  Sing your guts out (use the .wav files & sheet music as a guide),
record your own vocal tracks - if you don't have access to recording
equipment, and you really want to sing, and you are in the Toronto
area, we can record you at our studio.  (Availability is subject to
studio scheduling.)
Studio:  http://www.lushtones.ca

3.a)  Send your MiniDisc, DAT, Cassette, Data CD (44.1kHz) or Audio
CD with your tracks -- and indicate how you (or your group) would
like to appear in the credits -- to:

Karl Mohr "Add Your Voice" Contest
P.O. Box 198, Station B
Toronto, ON / M5T 2W1 / Canada

3.b)  Email your own audio tracks back to us as MP3 files (128 kbps
or higher).  The MP3 files will be decoded in our studio for the
production.  Please check first with file sizes before emailing!
Contact:  contest at karlmohr.com

FINE PRINT

All received entries and their associated copyright become the sole
property of Karl Mohr, including the right to broadcast, duplicate,
exploit and use in promotional materials.  Entries postmarked later
than the closing date will not be considered.  Entries will not be
returned.  The judges and their families are excluded from entering
the contest.  Names of individuals and groups will be listed only in
album backup material and credits - not added to any petitions or
political documents.  The option to have your name(s) withheld from
the album credits will be strictly honoured.

CONTACT

Any other questions about this contest can be directed to: contest at karlmohr.com