[artinfo] Call for participation: Trans Cultural Mapping

Espen Gangvik espen at gangvik.no
Fri Apr 30 11:21:06 CEST 2004

"Mobile outskirts: cultural mapping of northern geographical outposts"
15th-26th of June 2004

The workshop will start with a bus-travel of about 800 km to map part
of the distance between south and north of Norway before we get to
the Lofoten islands . The ten-day workshop is open to 10-12 Norwegian
and international artists and researchers. The workshop will focus on
the conditions of a rural area with special resources and conditions.

During the workshop we will stay in a fishing village (see
http://www.mathisvika12.no) We will set up a program of  talks by
local people about different aspects of life in this area, and we
will have the possibility of different excursions by bus or boat.

http://www.lofoten.com
http://www.lofoten-tourist.no/

TCM- Trans Cultural Mapping
The  workshop held in Lofoten, Norway, is an event in the series of 6
"Trans-Cultural Mapping" workshops initiated by RIXC Centre for New
Media in Riga, Latvia. Each workshop has a specific focus on
outskirts and interregional networking, in the context of an enlarged
Europe. An additional goal is to discover specific, deep and relevant
layers of the local cultures, involving specific local communities in
the process.
Locative media may be understood to mean media in which context is
crucial, in that the media pertains to specific location and time,
the point of spatio-temporal 'capture', dissemination or some point
in between. The term locative media has also over the last year been
associated with mobility, collaborative mapping, and emergent forms
of social networking.

TO PARTICIPATE IN THE WORKSHOP:
Send an e-mail with lofoten in the subject line, stating your
interest, with a short bio or CV before the 5th of May to
<kristin at anart.no>. Selection will be finished and participants
notified on the 10th of May. Travel and accommodation costs will be
covered for all selected
participants, as well as per diems and some production costs.

Organisers:
TRONDHEIM ELECTRONIC ARTS CENTRE, http://www.teks.no/ (Kristin Bergaust)