[artinfo] palya +

Kiss-Pál Szabolcs kspal at aramszu.net
Sat Sep 6 18:07:43 CEST 2003

Hello Folks,
A quick note about the Hungarian Multi-Cultural Residency I posted last week:  Stay away, or at the very least, be very careful and do some thorough research.  I received the following email from one of the list's recipients attesting to some pretty shady dealings.
Yours,
Michael
-----
Hello Michael-
I am hoping this e-mail reaches you well
A Hungarian American photographic artist from NYC, I  was selected for the Hungarian Multi-Cultural Center of Dallas for a residency in Balatonfured, Hungary in 1999.
I am writing to inform you that the financial dealings of this program are very suspicious and I believe fraudulent after my experiences.
Of primary concern is that we paid an outrageous amount (considering the exchange rate) for unacceptable room and board accommodations and several city workers linked to an arts council/cultural exchange type program in Balatonfured confirmed they believed that
Beata Szechy the director of the program, was pocketing substantial amounts. Luckily, as I am completely proficient in Hungarian, I was able to investigate this, while other typically American residency members from even years past never had a clue. Unfortunately, as there appeared to be others involved in whatever scheme was going on, I could not get signed statements from all of the appropriate individuals to prove anything once and for all.
While, I shot a tremendous collection of photographs which I am very proud of both technically and on a personal level (this was my first opportunity to go to Hungary after having grown up the first person in my family born in America) which  have exhibited in a number of venues that have been fruitful for my career, I do not feel it was aided by this program in any way.
There was no program to speak of-- no lectures, no artists' meetings or arranged interaction with local artists or events we were led to believe there would be.
Nothing; not even exhibitions with appropriate or suggested circumstances; some of us felt we could trust leaving of original works with this deceitful director after leaving the country though we were supposed to have Budapest exhibitions.
Two exhibitions were supposed to happen for each group each year (presumably with the aid of all the money we sunk into the program because it was certainly more than enough to offset room and board and such) and yet to my knowledge artists from years past were still waiting for shows.
There was virtually no one for non-Hungarian speaking artists to turn to for information, so that I helped in translating much. The Director had rather limited contact with us in this foreign land to help with any logistics. Again, we were lucky that I spoke Hungarian and I myself was fortunate to have relatives nearby that enabled me to photograph a wider multitude of regions and get away form our pathetic accommodations for spells. These relatives also helped me to gauge how unacceptable the program was all around considering what we paid in US dollars and the relativity to what we could really get for that amount in local currency.
I am sure I could say more of the disappointment we felt with the program, but I will end here and hope that in the future you choose not to run anything about this program on your calls list and let fellow artists know it is suspect.
Sincerely,
Anna-Maria Vag
AUDIO/VISUAL Music Video Competition
New York Underground Film Festival
(New York NY)
The New York Underground Film Festival Presents... AUDIO/VISUAL. Part live showcase, part music video competition, A/V takes place October 18 &19 in Brooklyn.
Application Date: 09/20/03
Email kendra at nyuff.com
OPEN CALL SUBMISSIONS REPELLENT MAGAZINE & REPELLENT PROJECTS
Repellent
(Jersey City NJ)
Repellent is currently seeking proposals and artwork submissions from international contributors for Repellent Magazine and also a new, original and collaborative sound/visual art project.
Deadlines Repellent #3: Language Photo Submissions & Written Proposals for other Sections: Friday, September 26th, 2003
Click here for full Submission Information http://www.repellentzine.com/submissions.asp
Application Date: 09/26/03
Email ihu at repellentzine.com
13th Mostra Curta Cinema/Rio de Janeiro Int'l Short Film Festival, Brasil. Deadline: 5 September. http://www.curtacinema.com.br
Eyes and Ears, San Francisco, USA. an international film series showcasing films with experimental sound scores or music incorporating music of well known avant-garde composers and musicians. eadline: rolling submission.  http://www.otherminds.org/shtml/Eyesandears1.shtml
Clemont Ferrand Short Film Festival, France. Deadline: 17 October. http://www.clermont-filmfest.com
Halloween Short Film Festival, London, UK. Deadline: 30 September. http://www.shortfilms.org.uk
eKsperim[E]nto Film and Video Festival 2004, Manila, Philippines. Deadline: 30 September. http://www.geocities.com/eksperiment4/rules
Les Inattendus. 4th international cinema and vidéo festival, Lyon, France. Deadline: 15 September. http://www.inattendus.com
Artist-in-Residency Program, Kyoto Art Center, Japan. Deadline: 30 September. http://www.kac.or.jp/english/residence/apdetail.html
Visual Arts Residency Program, Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, Omaha, NE, USA. Deadline: 30 September. http://www.bemiscenter.org
Grizedale Arts Grants 2004/5, UK. 10 Research and development grants towards development of new work in any media. Deadline: 26 September. http://www.grizedale.org
Munich, Germany: October 1-5, 2003
D-A-S-H -- networking against racsim and exclusion
SAMPLE IMAGE
Kontakt:
JFF - Institut für Medienpädagogik in Forschung und Praxis
admin at d-a-s-h.org
The San Francisco International Film Festival,
http://www.sffs.org.
Telstra Broadband Fund Information Session: Call for Applications
DATE: 28th August
TIME: 11am-12noon
APPLICATIONS DUE: 18th September
ONLINE: http://www.broadbandfund.telstra.com
Accepting high-quality feature submissions. ArtAfterNext seeks artworks that challenge technologically, intellectually, and aesthetically.
Send to:
ArtAfterNext Submissions
c/o Austin Music Network
4209 Airport Blvd
Austin, TX 78722
Questions? Contact AMN at artafternext.org
Drift: Sound Art + Experimental Music
http://www.mediascot.org/drift
Guidelines and submission form available from http://www.mediascot.org/drift

   The Calls and Opps Email list is Edited by Michael Mandiberg
comp/ks