[artinfo] CALL TO ARTISTS :: info@blah :: mining the data glut :: a month long exhibit in a Boston MA gallery and on the internet in Fall 2002

Adele Eisenstein adele@c3.hu
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 16:58:05 +0100

--=====================_8468212==_.ALT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:58:32 -0500
From: Kanarinka <kanarinka@ikatun.com>
Subject: [syndicate] CALL TO ARTISTS :: info@blah :: mining the data glut
:: a month long exhibit in a Boston MA gallery and on the internet in Fall 2002

[Please Forward]
CALL TO ARTISTS :: info@blah :: mining the data glut :: a month long
exhibit in a Boston MA gallery and on the internet in Fall 2002

All of the below information can be found online here:
www.ikatun.com/infoblah

Call To Artists

Submissions deadline: April 1, 2002

iKatun, a Boston-based nonprofit collaborative, is looking for artists
to submit visual, sound, performance, digital and scientific materials
for INFO@BLAH, a month long multimedia exhibit planned for Fall 2002.
INFO@BLAH will take place in a Boston area gallery space and on the
Internet.

INFO@BLAH will explore information architecture and the navigation of
meaningful data and meaningless noise. The show will embrace work that
makes the unseen elements of information visible, examines the
structures behind information, dissects the process of building an
architecture of information, or deconstructs the illusions of
technologic media.

Artists who address or are inspired by sensory overload, data
architectures or the function of the technology that surrounds media
production are encouraged to submit work. We are looking for interactive
and static artwork that challenges the mediated experience, work that
examines information overload or explores the possibility for finding
respite within this chaos. Artists of all media are encouraged to apply,
including the traditional media of painting, photography and sculpture
as well as new media such as performance, video, installation, digital
media, software and internet artworks.

In daily life we travel through a sea of raw, unfiltered data which
subtly and imperceptibly jockeys for primacy in our attention span and
memory space. Sometimes we succeed in filtering out the noise, but
sometimes the chaos permeates our understanding in ways that are both
conscious and unconscious. The lack of synthesis caused by this overload
impedes our ability to respond, potentially plunging us into cognitive
discord, demanding that we navigate a labyrinth of information loops and
propaganda. The result is an intellectual and experientialculture of
both productive and misprocessed information. This is a domain where
perception shifts and misinformation easily gains sway.

INFO@BLAH will examine the cult of technology in a scope where the
production and use of information may be a form of adoration, fulfilling
spiritual ideals of progress and divine worship. In this arena, many
imbue information with utopian potential in its process and aesthetic,
often overlooking the byproducts of this desire such as anxiety,
saturation, misinterpretation, imperfection and incomprehensibility.

If you have any questions email them to submissions@ikatun.com.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Every artist must submit:

1. A one page artist statement (1 page limit).

2. Art Resume or Bio.

3. Visual work samples as detailed below.

NOTE: All materials must be sent together either digitally or
physically. For example, please do not e-mail us your Artist statement
and send your slides via regular mail. We will get confused.

Visual work samples:

1. Slides: (10 max) 35mm. Please number the slides and include your name
and an indication of the top of the slide. Please supply an annotated
slidelist with the corresponding number on the slide, title, date, size
and description.

2. URL's (10 max): An annotated list with title, date, and short
description would be nice to give us some context for your URLs.

3. Video 10 minute segment cued up.

4. Digital files: We can accept most common digital file formats.

Please send digital materials to: submissions@ikatun.com

If the combined files are larger than 1 MB please burn them to a CDROM
and send it to the physical address below.

Please send slides and video cassettes with a SASE and sufficient
postage (otherwise we cannot return your materials) to:

iKatun
21 Symphony Road 1-A
Boston MA 02115

QUESTIONS????