[artinfo] Fw: [spectre] last call - Dead or Alive

Misko mpandil@soros.org.mk
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:47:32 +0100

  From:    jurij.krpan@kapelica.org
  To:      spectre@mikrolisten.de
  Date:    Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:54:39 +0100
  Subject: [spectre] last call - Dead or Alive
----

Dear colleagues,
this is the last call for applications which should be sent by March 1st =
 2002.

Key words: Death, Life, Body, Poison, Oxymoron , Fatal Sex, Biotechnology,
Artificial Life, ...

CALL FOR ENTRIES - BREAK 21/2002

Break 21
6th International Festival of Young Emerging Artists

May 19th =AD 24th, 2002
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Integral description of the festival: http://www.break21.com

Organiser
K6/4, Kersnikova 6, Ljubljana, Slovenia

THEME

=93Dead or Alive=94

=93Dead or Alive=94 implicates the urge, which tends to satisfy something at=
=20
all costs,
taking no regard whether it demands the life to be taken. It is assumed,=20
that it
represents something, for which, imperatively, it is greater than life or=20
death. In
the tendency to give up life as the highest value, the sacrifice is=20
implicated or
some urgent denunciation in the economy of one=92s own life, which we could=
=20
call a
particular death, for the sole purpose =AD to accomplish something.
In the title, the initial question appears. It questions death and life; it=
=20
demands an
answer to the question about definitions, what is actually dead and what is=
=20
alive.
To what extent something is dead, though only inert; to what extent=20
something is
alive, though tends to be prolonged with the help of machines; how to
understand organic material in the cryobanks and how biotechnical
mechanisms/organisms? Are the cyber space and avatars with artificial
intelligence, which are present in the Hollywood apparatus of the imaginary=
=20
or the
top cyber laboratories, our or the parallel world? Bionics and eugenics=20
establish
new paradigms of life and death as much as nanomechanics and intelligent
neuronic nets. Artificial life is the oxymoron, which penetrates the core=20
of our
theme.
Questions, posed to us by high technology, are still utterly legitimate in
traditional sense, since we understand them through the perspective of=
 modern
age. Intermingling of everyday violence, which we encounter in the streets,=
=20
car
accidents, murders, suicides, diseases, wars and catastrophes on higher=
 scales
are balancing with births, rebirths, changes of identity and initiations,=20
creations of
new life situations and cosmic phenomena. Religious repertoires and great
ideologies are all built upon dichotomy of life and death. They tend to be=
=20
valid
within the scale of the universal, while moments of ecstasy during=20
meditation or
sex, pain and dreams are utterly intimate and identical to themselves.=
 Mental
deviations, such as insanity, psychosis, neurosis, obsessions, paranoia and
hysteric states were interpreted as a kind of intermediary state between=20
life and
death in primitive cultures, while in modern societies, the border between=
 the
healthy as an attribute of life and the ill as an attribute of death is=
 being
obliterated.

Life and death are great themes of art and a lot has been said about them,
however, some things can=92t be talked about too many times. Our intention=
 is=20
for
artists to deal with them innovatively, through the perspective of new art=
 and
research artistic practice, which owns a tactical value that points more at=
=20
the
poetics of life than poetics, which is already known from traditional=20
aesthetic
paradigms. Forms of expression may not be products and aesthetic artefacts=
 but
rather processes, states, situations =85 that comprise the dimension of time=
 =AD
transition.

FIELDS

- THEORY: we will organise a series of lectures and presentations and the=
 texts
   will be published in the catalogue. We will also publish essays,=
 theoretic
   and critical texts of the selected theme. The emphasis will be put=20
primarily
   on the texts, which deal with the complex of life and death through the
   perspective of contemporary and new art.
- VISUAL ARTS: computer-assisted art (from web art to robotics), comics,
   graphic prints, digital prints, photographs, interactive works, visual
   communication (subvertising), etc.
- PERFORMATIVE ARTS
- INTERMEDIA ARTS
- MOBILE PICTURES: films in all categories will be presented at the=
 festival:
   documentaries, fiction, video art, animated films, experimental films,=
 short
   films ...
- MUSIC and SOUND: concerts, sound installations and intermedia=
 performances,
   in which sound holds the priority.
- ARCHITECTURE: we are interested in the projects, which sublimate themes of
   life and death in the most radical meanings. Architectural semiology=
 should
   be oriented towards conceptual projects and less towards utilitarian
   realisations.
- APPLIED ARTS: although we recognise the fashion creativity through fashion
   machinery of the consumer society, we decided to underline the part of a
   designing production, which holds highly personalised approach and thus=
=20
point
   at semiology of dressing, which wrenches from the vice of mass economy.
- CULINARY ARTS

DEADLINE

Call for applications should be sent by March 1st  2002 to the following=20
address:

=8Atudentski kulturni center
Break 21
Kersnikova 6