[artinfo] The Performer and the Mediated Image

Lázár Eszter leszter@voyager.arts7.hu
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 13:09:06 +0200

--=====================_2823122==_.ALT

 > The Performer and the Mediated Image
 > Workshop in Performance & Media Art
 >
 > In collaboration with Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo / Time
 > Based Arts
 >
 > 30 July - 4 August 2001, Amsterdam
 >

 > Introduction
 > In recent years, increasing attention has been given to cross-over art=
 forms
 > where the blurring of boundaries between theatre, music, dance, painting,
 > film etc have allowed new hybrids to emerge in the performing arts. In=
 one
 > aspect this is not strictly 'new'; the Italian Futurists were busy making
 > sound machines in performance at the beginning of the 20th century, and
 > artists such as the American Laurie Anderson have long been experimenting
 > with live-action, video, music and sound interactive instruments in live
 > performance; hence the term 'multimedia'. But contemporary arts practice=
 is
 > constantly expanding the use of technology and mediated image-making in
 > performance, often resulting in a fascinating melting pot of interfaces,
 > virtualities, physical techniques and applications, not to mention
 > time/space or theory/practice explorations.
 >
 > Visual artists have also long been playing with form and content, and=
 with
 > methods of presentation. At one end of the spectrum artists such as Nam=
 June
 > Paik and Bruce Nauman have been making video and installation art since=
 the
 > 1960s. Towards the end of the last century a new generation came of age;
 > artists working with the internet, email, virtual reality, robotics,=
 digital
 > media. This we have come to refer to as 'Media Art'.
 >
 > Contemporary theatre and performance-makers are still grappling with the
 > same original basic premise as their professional fore-fathers; a
 > fundamentally theatrical concept of live spectacle with audience as=
 witness.
 > A story or stories will be told (but it may be non-linear); there will be=
 > beginning, middle, and end (but possibly not in that order); the form=
 will
 > include a rise to a climax, and a resolve or conclusion (and most likely
 > more than once); but above all, a suspension of disbelief is guaranteed.=
 The

<mailto:office@amsu.edu>office@amsu.edu /
> [...]
 >

 > PLEASE ENCLOSE YOUR CURRICULUM VITAE AND LETTER OF MOTIVATION
 >
 > Terms and conditions regarding application
 > All participants in the courses are bound by the Board's Standard
 > Conditions, which will be sent with the confirmation of your application.
 > Please note that cancellation of participation in a course can only be=
 made
 > in writing. If cancellation is made no later than fourteen days before=
 the
 > course starts, 15% administrative expenses will be deducted. Cancellation
 > made later than fourteen days before the beginning of the course does not
 > entitle the participant to any refund.
 >
 > Return this form to:
 > The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University
 > P.O. BOX 53066,
 > 1007 RB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
 > T +31 (0)20 6200225, F +31 (0)20 6249368, E=20
<mailto:office@amsu.edu>office@amsu.edu, www.amsu.edu

 > MAILING LIST
 > (PERF 2)
 >
 > This year I will not participate, but please keep me informed about=
 future
 > activities.
 >
 > Name
 >

 > Address
 >

 > Telephone Fax Email
 >

 >=
 >
 > ACCOMMODATION FORM AMSTERDAM
 > Please use capital letters
 >
 > O The Performer and the Mediated Image (PERF 2)
 >
 > family name first name
 > Ms/Mr
 >
 > address
 >

 > state/country e-mail
 >

 > phone country code regional code number
 >

 > fax country code regional code number
 >
 > PREFERENCE AND REGISTRATION
 > Please mark your preference: Dutch Guilders: Euro:
 > O A  private room in shared apartment 50 23
 > O B  private apartment 115
 > 52
 > O C  Small hotel in city centre 155 - 170
 > 71 - 77
 > O D  Large hotel in centre 170 - 250
 > Approximate prices per night including breakfast (hotels) and 6% VAT,
 > excluding hotel tourist tax, handling fee, and bed linen in apartments.
 >
 > date of arrival departure number of nights
 > smoking yes/no
 >
 > PAYMENT INFORMATION
 > No deposit is required for the accommodation, but a bank account or=
 credit
 > card number is needed to guarantee your reservation.
 >
 > O bank account O American Express O Euro-Master Card
 > O Visa Card
 >
 > number expiry date credit card
 > /
 >
 > name on card, account holder
 >

 > signature card holder date
 >

 > The exact amount of the accommodation fee, including NLG 15 (EURO 7)
 > handling fee and the hotel tourist tax, will be sent to you as soon as
 > possible in a separate voucher confirming your accommodation.
 >

 > TERMS AND CONDITIONS REGARDING ACCOMMODATION:
 > All participants in the course are bound by the Board's Standard=
 Conditions,
 > which will be sent with the confirmation of your application. If the
 > requested accommodation is not available, we retain the right to reserve
 > accommodation in a higher price bracket. Please note that cancellation=
 can
 > only be made in writing and no later than seven days before arrival. When
 > cancellation regarding hotel accommodation is made later than seven days
 > before arrival, the costs of the first night may be charged. When
 > cancellation is made regarding apartment accommodation, and in the event
 > that AMSU cannot find a replacement tenant, the total cost for the=
 reserved
 > night may be charged.
 >
 > RETURN THIS FORM TO:
 > The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University; P.O. BOX 53066; 1007 RB
 > Amsterdam;
 > The Netherlands; phone+31.20.6200225; fax+31.20.6249368;=20
<mailto:office@amsu.edu>office@amsu.edu;
 > www.amsu.edu

--=====================_2823122==_.ALT

&gt; Workshop in Performance &amp; Media Art<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In collaboration with Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo /
Time<br>
&gt; Based Arts<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 30 July - 4 August 2001, Amsterdam<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Introduction<br>
&gt; In recent years, increasing attention has been given to cross-over
art forms<br>
&gt; where the blurring of boundaries between theatre, music, dance,
painting,<br>
&gt; film etc have allowed new hybrids to emerge in the performing arts.
In one<br>
&gt; aspect this is not strictly 'new'; the Italian Futurists were busy
making<br>
&gt; sound machines in performance at the beginning of the 20th century,
and<br>
&gt; artists such as the American Laurie Anderson have long been
experimenting<br>
&gt; with live-action, video, music and sound interactive instruments in
live<br>
&gt; performance; hence the term 'multimedia'. But contemporary arts
practice is<br>
&gt; constantly expanding the use of technology and mediated image-making
in<br>
&gt; performance, often resulting in a fascinating melting pot of
interfaces,<br>
&gt; virtualities, physical techniques and applications, not to
mention<br>
&gt; time/space or theory/practice explorations.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Visual artists have also long been playing with form and content,
and with<br>
&gt; methods of presentation. At one end of the spectrum artists such as
Nam June<br>
&gt; Paik and Bruce Nauman have been making video and installation art
since the<br>
&gt; 1960s. Towards the end of the last century a new generation came of
age;<br>
&gt; artists working with the internet, email, virtual reality, robotics,
digital<br>
&gt; media. This we have come to refer to as 'Media Art'. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Contemporary theatre and performance-makers are still grappling with
the<br>
&gt; same original basic premise as their professional fore-fathers;
a<br>
&gt; fundamentally theatrical concept of live spectacle with audience as
witness.<br>
&gt; A story or stories will be told (but it may be non-linear); there
will be a<br>
&gt; beginning, middle, and end (but possibly not in that order); the
form will<br>
&gt; include a rise to a climax, and a resolve or conclusion (and most
likely<br>
&gt; more than once); but above all, a suspension of disbelief is
guaranteed. The<br>
&gt; form of the spectacle may be virtual, it may be recorded on CD-rom,
it may<br>
&gt; be relayed by live web-cam over the internet; it may be an ensemble
piece<br>
&gt; happening simultaneously across the world with each member of the
ensemble<br>
&gt; performing in a different city, to a culturally different live
audience; it<br>
&gt; may be a personal virtual experience in the head of one single
audience<br>
&gt; member at a time; or it may simply require one character to be
represented<br>
&gt; by a TV monitor or video projection screen.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Course Description<br>
&gt; This workshop aims to examine practically and theoretically the
advances and<br>
&gt; emerging challenges to classical representation, and to look at how
new<br>
&gt; technologies are radically altering the perception of performance
and visual<br>
&gt; arts for contemporary audiences;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; - What constitutes a mediated image<br>
&gt; - Which forms of mediation might be appropriate to a live
setting<br>
&gt; - What are the consequences of working with these images in direct
relation<br>
&gt; to the<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; 'unmediated' body of the performer (does
theatre/performance lose its<br>
&gt; character?)<br>
&gt; - What happens to the relationship between the 'mediated performer'
and the<br>
&gt; audience<br>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; (when it's live but not present, or recorded) <br>
&gt; - How/what can we learn from past practice?<br>
&gt; - How can artists practically work with and utilise new media?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Alongside practical sessions, in which creative ideas and projects
will be<br>
&gt; devised by the participants and developed over the period of the
course, the<br>
&gt; work will be contextualised by critical and theoretical discussions
of<br>
&gt; existing concepts and contemporary practice. These will be in the
form of<br>
&gt; seminars, debates and practical examples, given by experts and
artists in<br>
&gt; the specific discipline. Topics include; video art as fine art
practice;<br>
&gt; technology &amp; performance; &quot;electric scenography&quot;;
interactive performance &amp;<br>
&gt; time-based media; installation &amp; site-specific performance;
CD-rom / web &amp;<br>
&gt; internet arts projects; interactive music and sound.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Participant Profile<br>
&gt; Performing Arts practitioners, video artists, media artists &amp;
postgraduate<br>
&gt; students. Artists from any discipline who wish to expand and
complement<br>
&gt; their own practice via hands-on experience in collaborative work of
this<br>
&gt; nature.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Programme<br>
&gt; Co-ordinated by: <br>
&gt; Al=EDz Ertler, Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University<br>
&gt; Annet Dekker, Netherlands Media Art Institute<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Invited guests (to be confirmed) include:<br>
&gt; Sher Doruff, de Waag, Maatschappij voor Oude- en Nieuwe Media<br>
&gt; David Garcia, Chiel Kattenbelt, Utrecht School of Arts<br>
&gt; Michel Waisvisz, STEIM<br>
&gt; Matt Adams, Blast Theory<br>
&gt; Geert Mul<br>
&gt; Eboman<br>
&gt; Sally Jane Norman<br>
&gt; Karin Post<br>
&gt; Rene Beekman<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Language<br>
&gt; English<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Location<br>
&gt; Felix Meritis, Keizersgracht 324, Amsterdam, The Netherlands<br>
&gt; Netherlands Media Art Institute, Keizersgracht 264, Amsterdam,
The<br>
&gt; Netherlands<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Schedule<br>
&gt; 10.00 - 17.30 including 1-hour lunch break and coffee/tea
breaks.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Fee<br>
&gt; NLG 1000 (EURO 453.78) including daily lunches &amp; refreshments,
and admission<br>
&gt; to the cultural evening programme of The Amsterdam-Maastricht
Summer<br>
&gt; University. <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Application<br>
&gt; Due to the limited capacity, applicants will be selected according
to<br>
&gt; relevant professional experience and motivation. Applicants should
return<br>
&gt; their completed application form including curriculum vitae and
motivation<br>
&gt; letter, before 13 June 2001, by fax or post to:<br>
&gt; The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University<br>
&gt; PO Box 53066,1007 RB Amsterdam, The Netherlands / F +31 (0)20 624
9368<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; There are a limited number of scholarships available for Central-
and<br>
&gt; Eastern European candidates. Those who wish to be considered must
send in<br>
&gt; their application form, CV, letter of motivation plus a letter
of<br>
&gt; recommendation from a professional colleague before 13 July
2001.<br>
&gt; Please note all materials should be written in English.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo / TBA<br>
&gt; The Netherlands Media Art Institute has undertaken to promote
the<br>
&gt; unrestrained development, application and distribution of new
technologies<br>
&gt; within the visual arts, and reflection on contemporary arts &amp;
technology<br>
&gt; practice and development.<br>
&gt; To those involved in media art, the Netherlands Media Art Institute
lends<br>
&gt; assistance in the fields of presentation, collection,
distribution,<br>
&gt; research, production and facilities.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Course Co-ordination<br>
&gt; For general information please contact the Amsterdam-Maastricht
Summer<br>
&gt; University;<br>
&gt; Postbus 53066, 1007 RB Amsterdam, The Netherlands<br>
&gt; T +31 (0)20 620 0225 / F +31 (0)20 624 9368 / E
&gt;
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;
***************************************************************************<=
br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; A P P L I C A T I O N&nbsp; F O R M<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; (Please use capital letters)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I wish to apply for the course: The Performer and the Mediated Image
(PERF<br>
&gt; 2)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; family name first name<br>
&gt; Ms/Mr<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; address<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; state/country<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; phone country code regional code number<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; fax country code regional code number<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; title/profession e-mail<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; nationality date of birth<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I declare I will be medically insured during the period that I
attend the<br>
&gt; Summer University.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; signature date<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; PLEASE ENCLOSE YOUR CURRICULUM VITAE AND LETTER OF MOTIVATION<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Terms and conditions regarding application<br>
&gt; All participants in the courses are bound by the Board's
Standard<br>
&gt; Conditions, which will be sent with the confirmation of your
application.<br>
&gt; Please note that cancellation of participation in a course can only
be made<br>
&gt; in writing. If cancellation is made no later than fourteen days
before the<br>
&gt; course starts, 15% administrative expenses will be deducted.
Cancellation<br>
&gt; made later than fourteen days before the beginning of the course
does not<br>
&gt; entitle the participant to any refund.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Return this form to:<br>
&gt; The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University<br>
&gt; P.O. BOX 53066,<br>
&gt; 1007 RB Amsterdam, The Netherlands<br>
&gt; T +31 (0)20 6200225, F +31 (0)20 6249368, E
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; MAILING LIST<br>
&gt; (PERF 2)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This year I will not participate, but please keep me informed about
future<br>
&gt; activities.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Name<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Address<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Telephone Fax Email<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;
***************************************************************************<=
br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ACCOMMODATION FORM AMSTERDAM<br>
&gt; Please use capital letters<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; O The Performer and the Mediated Image (PERF 2)<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; family name first name<br>
&gt; Ms/Mr<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; address<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; state/country e-mail<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; phone country code regional code number<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; fax country code regional code number<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; PREFERENCE AND REGISTRATION<br>
&gt; Please mark your preference: Dutch Guilders: Euro:<br>
&gt; O A&nbsp; private room in shared apartment 50 23<br>
&gt; O B&nbsp; private apartment 115<br>
&gt; 52<br>
&gt; O C&nbsp; Small hotel in city centre 155 - 170<br>
&gt; 71 - 77<br>
&gt; O D&nbsp; Large hotel in centre 170 - 250<br>
&gt; 77 - 114<br>
&gt; Approximate prices per night including breakfast (hotels) and 6%
VAT,<br>
&gt; excluding hotel tourist tax, handling fee, and bed linen in
apartments.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; date of arrival departure number of nights<br>
&gt; smoking yes/no<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; PAYMENT INFORMATION<br>
&gt; No deposit is required for the accommodation, but a bank account or
credit<br>
&gt; card number is needed to guarantee your reservation.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; O bank account O American Express O Euro-Master Card<br>
&gt; O Visa Card<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; number expiry date credit card<br>
&gt; / <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; name on card, account holder<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; signature card holder date<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The exact amount of the accommodation fee, including NLG 15 (EURO
7)<br>
&gt; handling fee and the hotel tourist tax, will be sent to you as soon
as<br>
&gt; possible in a separate voucher confirming your accommodation.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; TERMS AND CONDITIONS REGARDING ACCOMMODATION:<br>
&gt; All participants in the course are bound by the Board's Standard
Conditions,<br>
&gt; which will be sent with the confirmation of your application. If
the<br>
&gt; requested accommodation is not available, we retain the right to
reserve<br>
&gt; accommodation in a higher price bracket. Please note that
cancellation can<br>
&gt; only be made in writing and no later than seven days before arrival.
When<br>
&gt; cancellation regarding hotel accommodation is made later than seven
days<br>
&gt; before arrival, the costs of the first night may be charged.
When<br>
&gt; cancellation is made regarding apartment accommodation, and in the
event<br>
&gt; that AMSU cannot find a replacement tenant, the total cost for the
reserved<br>
&gt; night may be charged.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; RETURN THIS FORM TO:<br>
&gt; The Amsterdam-Maastricht Summer University; P.O. BOX 53066; 1007
RB<br>
&gt; Amsterdam;<br>
&gt; The Netherlands; phone+31.20.6200225; fax+31.20.6249368;
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.amsu.edu/" eudora=3D"autourl">www.amsu.edu<br>