[artinfo] Call For Proposals - Critical Meme Reader III: Breaking the Meme

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon May 1 18:00:23 CEST 2023

The meme is dead. Or at least that is what
opinion pieces, magazine articles, conference
presentations, and even memes themselves have
declared over the years. Despite this, "meme" is
as pervasive a neologism as ever, used to
describe a variety of digital media. Everything
from bits of internet humor, image-macros, viral
videos, to copy-pasta, urban legends, techno
genres, dance routines and bodily gestures, have
been described as memes or at the very
leasmemetic in nature.

Initially a niche term, the meme, particularly
the internet meme, has been adopted by the online
public as a way to categorize the growing
menagerie of online ephemera. The widespread
acceptance of the term shows that it fulfills a
role in how we understand, interpret and talk
about the eclectic media objects that we come
across during our interactions with digital
culture. However, the concept of the meme and as
well as memetics as a field of study have been
fraught with controversy for over many decades.

In meme studies, the foundational thinking that
grounds the concept of the meme has traditionally
been one that seeks to understand culture through
biological models of evolution: selection,
replication, inheritance. It is equally important
to underline that in various global  digital
cultures, online ephemera had not been described
as "memes" until recently, with local
categorisations such as ï\èÓïÔ (biao qing bao),
caps, monte, and other context-specific
neologisms taking precedence over the Dawkinsian
"meme". These categorisations come with their own
nuanced histories and specificities and also
offer us avenues to theorize digital culture
beyond memes and memetics.

Critical Meme Reader III: Breaking the Meme

In the first INC Critical Meme
Reader, <https://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/critical-meme-reader-global-mutations-of-the-viral-image/>Global
Mutations of the Viral Image (2021), contributor
Åke Gafvelin asked if there could ever be a last
meme in history. We concluded that every
historical event would be haunted with a memetic
double - memes will be around as long as humans
are around. In the second Critical Meme
Reader, <https://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/critical-meme-reader-ii-memetic-tacticality/>Memetic
Tacticality(2022), we observed that memes were
moving beyond static viral images, morphing and
transforming. It was clear to us then that memes
have speculative and revolutionary potential and
as a result engender political and tangible
effects in the 'real' world. In the third
Critical Meme Reader we are taking things a step
further: we are killing the meme and resurrecting
it.

How can we define memes beyond Dawkins and
Shifman? How can we make sense of the tension
between meme activism and direct action? Do memes
necessarily have to be viral and anonymous? What
does it mean exactly for a meme to be
tactical? How are memes evolving from 2D to
3D? Is meme making a creative (research) practice
tool? What would it mean for the ways we do
research if we would exchange the word meme with
another word completely? Would memes still exist
without the internet? What would aliens conclude
about us if they would find the digital remains
of memes when they discover Earth, long after
humans have been extinct?

Applications

We would like to invite thinkers
and (meme) makers from a variety of disciplines
and backgrounds to contribute manifestos, essays,
interviews, fiction, poetry, artworks, memes and
other yet-to-be-defined speculative interventions
that aim to break and reassemble the ubiquitous
concept of the meme. We are particularly
interested in contributions from the Global South
and marginalized communities and will prioritize
radical perspectives.

We believe current definitions of the meme are
limiting, so in order for meme studies to truly
theoretically evolve as a field, the meme needs
an expanded definition that moves away from
neutral otological descriptions and allows for
the inherent political potential of the
phenomenon to be included. Billions of people
make and consume memes, but no more than 100
people around the world critically reflect on the
mechanisms behind these practices. With this
theory deficit in mind, we ask you to redefine
the meme.

Potential topics include but are not limited to:

(Critique of) ontologies in meme studies
Phenomenology of memes
Memes reframed as speculative, artistic and/or activist interventions
Global and local histories of "the meme"
Memes as commons
Memes and issues of copyright/authorship/recognition
The political dimensions of meme archival
Memes as esoterica
Memes and (algorithmic) censorship
Implications of the technical foundations and infrastructures of memes
The relation between memes and physical space
Marxist meme-labor-party-theory
Ecology of memes
The relationship between meme theory and meme practice
The relevance of meme studies beyond media studies
Meme studies and interdisciplinarity
Memes beyond dialectics
Entanglement between the concept of memes and the concept of time
Alternative futures for meme studies
Please note that we will not be accepting pieces
that center case studies (e.g. analyses of
specific memes, subcultures, aesthetics, and
communities) as their main contribution. However,
we are open to pieces that seek to investigate
"the meme as a concept" through examples or
cases, as long as the focus is on providing fresh
conceptual or theoretical insights.

INC Reader #17, Critical Meme Reader III:
Breaking the Meme, will be edited by Chloë
Arkenbout and Idil Galip. Proposals/abstracts
should be around 300-500 words. Please send these
to <mailto:viralimageculture at networkcultures.org>viralimageculture at networkcultures.org by
the 15th of May. Final contributions should be
500-5000 words and submitted by the 4th of
September. Contributors are welcome to join the
conference in Amsterdam in April 2024 dedicated
to the launch of the publication.

<https://networkcultures.org/viralimageculture/2023/04/18/call-for-proposals-critical-meme-reader-iii-breaking-the-meme/>https://networkcultures.org/viralimageculture/2023/04/18/call-for-proposals-critical-meme-reader-iii-breaking-the-meme/