[artinfo] Touch open call photo contest

Art & Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Thu Jan 26 09:40:14 CET 2023

Re:Touch expanded surfaces in smartphone photography

Freie Universität Berlin

Application deadline: March 6, 2023

Winner Announcement : March 30, 2023

Freie Universität Berlin (FU-Berlin) supported by
Kulturprojekte Berlin. Contest start: January 20,
2023
Application deadline: March 6, 2023.
To apply, please visit  website.
https://re-touch-photocontest.com/
Email: info at re-touch-photocontest.com.

On the occasion of EMOP Berlin - European Month
of Photography 2023, professional and amateur
photographers are invited to submit images
exploring expanded surfaces of digital
photographic images. Digital images on screens
and smartphones play a significant role in our
everyday social lives, media and networks, while
being underestimated as photographic practices
with a potential for critical agency and
aesthetics.

The contest Re:Touch intends to create an
opportunity to engage both, critically and
artistically, in digital smartphone photography,
its processing of images and its effects on
society and (virtual) realities. Key questions
are:

How can smartphone photography create new
visualizations to restore relationships with
ourselves, each other and the world within and
beyond screens? What affective relationships and
resiliencies may emerge from capturing phenomena
beyond the established visual codes of social
media systems? Which strategies emphasize
decolonial and/or queer constructions of identity
as socially engaged practices? How might a
critique of digital image processing be
documented? How do we encounter non-human
photographs in a virtual environment? How do
digital errors and glitches relate to digital
infrastructures of power relations?

We are looking for photographs employing the
smartphone as a starting point for a Re:Touch.
Re:Touch something you believe you have lost
touch with in a snapshot. Re:Touch something that
needs a critical intervention for change in a
screenshot. Re:Touch with an experimental digital
photographic practice to overcome new and old
barriers and boundaries of connectivity.

Participants may submit one digital image or a
series of up to five digital images on the theme
of Re:Touch. Winners will be selected by an
independent jury and receive 1,500 EUR for first
prize, 700 EUR for second prize and 300 EUR for
third prize. Additionally, the works of the
winners, as well as special mentions, will be
published on our website. Winners will be
announced on March 30, 2023. Entries may be
submitted via an online form on the website.

MA Culture and Media Management at Freie Universität Berlin
The practice-oriented master's program at Freie
Universität Berlin explores knowledge resources
and methods for application in cultural and media
management. Above all, the program familiarizes
students with the intersections between art,
culture and media studies. Synergies between
theory and practice are particularly encouraged,
as is an engagement with questions and
methodologies drawn from different sciences,
cultural institutions, and the arts. Students are
frequently given opportunities for independent,
interdisciplinary project development,
implementation, and quality assurance across
various professional fields. Our collaborators
include: Archiv der Avantgarden, Staatliche
Kunstsammlungen Dresden, Hamburger Bahnhof -
Museum für Gegenwart - Berlin, Haus der Kulturen
der Welt (HKW) and Kestner Gesellschaft. We also
collaborate via metaLAB (at) FU, Freie
Universität Berlin, an international research
initiative with metaLAB (at) Harvard, Harvard
University. metaLAB (at) FU operates as a
transdisciplinary lab and as an experimental
platform exploring new digital and creative
knowledge practices in the scientific, cultural
and social realm.