[artinfo] video vortex jam this thursday 6-8

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Tue May 25 21:28:22 CEST 2021

Video Vortex Hybrid Event: Play, Pause and Reset

Thursday, May 27, 2021, 06:00 PM CEST - 08:00 CEST

To compensate for the real life events that we
are all missing so much, the VideoVortex
community gathers during a hybrid event that
happens both online and in the courtyard of John
Cabot University in Rome. Organized and hosted by
Donatella Della Ratta and Albert Figurt (in Rome)
and Andreas Treske and Geert Lovink (online), we
will switch between a conversation robot, Zoom, a
drone and the obligatory online video screening
in an experimental setup that will try to beat
the overall online fatigue.

What is online video today, fifteen years into
its exponential growth? What started with amateur
work of YouTube prosumers has spread to virtually
all communication apps: an explosion in the
culture of mobile sound and vision. Now, in the
age of the smart phone, video accompanies,
informs, moves, and distracts us. Are you
addicted yet? Look into that tiny camera, talk,
move the phone, show us around - prove to others
that you exist! Founded in 2007 by the Amsterdam
Institute of Network Cultures, Video Vortex is a
lively network of artists, activists, coders,
curators, critics, and researchers that deals
with all the facets of both politics
and aesthetics of online video.

Virtual on Zoom:

Patrick Lichty, Moderator/Respondent Geert Lovink

Aras Özgün, Moderator/Respondent Andreas Treske

Follow the event on YouTube and take part in our live chat
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZVIZ-t8K0>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZVIZ-t8K0

After the two hour session we want to continue
playing video. Share with us your favorite
playlists, your must sees Š If you want to join
the video jam session, contact Geert or Donatella
via the known channels.