[artinfo] Antoni Muntadas: About Academia

Art & Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Apr 30 12:19:12 CEST 2021

Antoni Muntadas: About Academia I-II, an Online
Interpretation, 2011-2017 (2021)

Roundtable: April 30, 2-5pm, (BRT) What University Do We Want?
Institute for Advanced Studies at University of São Paulo (USP), online event

<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/te3404813pcb3/track-url/rj476aj0679d5/2b07cd310198f16221d7604766890dff09736b78>aboutacademia.iea.usp.br

Based on his experience in American higher
education, the artist Antoni Muntadas inaugurates
in Brazil an online interpretation of About
Academia. The project discusses the role and
function of universities today, the place of art
in this context, the relationship between public
and private, tradition and contemporaneity, the
future of universities and interdisciplinarity,
based on interviews with professors and students.

About Academia, a project originally presented at
the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts, after
an invitation by Harvard University, during
Antoni Muntadas' last teaching period in the
program in Art, Culture and Technology at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (ACT MIT),
in 2011, followed in different versions to cities
like Boston, Vancouver, Amsterdam, Seville, among
others.

The Brazilian version of the video installation
About Academia, which at first would occupy the
Biblioteca Brasiliana at the University of São
Paulo (USP), translates as another work of the
multimedia artist and professor, by creating a
digital interpretation of the original
installation and developed as a website, which
can be accessed after April 30 via
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/te3404813pcb3/track-url/rj476aj0679d5/b0016b8e69bc1b16db7d6d99af0a841304b956f0>aboutacademia.iea.usp.br.
For the first time, it will be exhibited in Latin
America, with all its materials translated into
Portuguese, in a bilingual version (Spanish),
through a partnership between the Fórum
Permanente, the Institute for Advanced Studies at
USP, and the Biblioteca Brasiliana José and Guita
Mindlin with the support of the São Paulo state
government through the Programa de Ação Cultural
(PROAC).

About Academia provokes a reflection through art
about the American academic and university
system. Muntadas' video installation considers
the possible conflict between a faculty (and its
values) and an administration (and its power). To
circulate the project successfully in non-US
universities, Muntadas proposes roundtable
discussions that contextualize the conflicts and
difficulties of the university system that hosts
it. Confronting with other models in different
contexts and cultures. Therefore, on the opening
day, a virtual roundtable is being organized with
the theme "What University Do We Want?"
Participants are:
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/te3404813pcb3/track-url/rj476aj0679d5/80492a70f1961943b12a64a7ae0010359c5ee2bd>Ailton
Krenak, philosopher, environmentalist, indigenous
leadership;
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/te3404813pcb3/track-url/rj476aj0679d5/ef608e8cacb71407891a0c053d5cd292a4b47be5>Eliana
Sousa Silva, educator, socio-cultural activist;
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/te3404813pcb3/track-url/rj476aj0679d5/75a755aa1a483ed24b35309c96a4d5d09bf9a785>Macaé
Evaristo, educator, former State Secretary of
Minas Gerais, Brazil; and
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/te3404813pcb3/track-url/rj476aj0679d5/46276574c5b3681318fa03147144e92a7280695e>Néstor
Garcia Canclini, anthropologist and philosopher.
Apart from Portuguese, all the roundtables will
also be available in Spanish and English on the
website of the exhibition.

The project is composed of two sets of
projections and publications. While About
Academia I (2011) addresses these issues from the
perspective of professors and academics, About
Academia II (2017) delves into its themes
exclusively from the students' point of view. Due
to COVID-19, the first exhibition of this project
in the Southern Hemisphere takes place through a
virtual room on a website where it is also
possible to access the roundtables and two
bilingual publications (Portuguese/Spanish) are
available with the complete transcriptions of the
speeches of the interviewees, among them Noam
Chomsky, David Harvey, Carol Becker, Ute Meta
Bauer, as well as the students.

The immersive, online, interactive video
installation gives prominence to the two sets:
About Academia I (2011) and About Academia II
(2017). It thus respects the time lengths of the
videos originally developed by the artist for
their existence in a real physical space. Thus,
despite the interactivity of navigation, it is
not possible for the visitor to control the
projected videos. The aesthetic experience in
virtuality corresponds to the real time of the
analog exhibition space.

Antoni Muntadas: About Academia I-II, an Online
Interpretation, 2011-2017 (2021) is open April 30
to May 15 worldwide and until October 31, 2021
for Latin America.