[artinfo] Yerevan Biennial Art Foundation releases a statement

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Thu Oct 1 19:31:06 CEST 2020

October 01, 2020

A statement on the current crisis in the region

Launch events of the first Yerevan Biennial cancelled
October 1, 2020-January 17, 2021

the Nagorno-Karabakh region and in respect of the
victims of the conflict and their families, the
Yerevan Biennial Art Foundation has decided to
cancel the scheduled launch events of its Digital
Biennial. We are mourning in particular civilian
casualties.

In these tragic circumstances, after much
discussion, we decided to unceremoniously make
accessible to the public the first chapter of the
2020-2021 Yerevan Biennial. The Digital Biennial
is now online. If only symbolically, it is
important to be present and show our humanity. We
strongly believe that art, culture, education,
and heritage play a vital role in the life of a
country. In fact, they express the very essence
of a people, as well as their intellectual
vitality and uniqueness. Without art, culture,
education, and heritage, our collective and
individual identity is lost and the logic of war
prevails.

We hope to resume further activity as soon as
possible. Meanwhile, we pray for the
de-escalation of the conflict and safety of the
people. As UN-Secretary, António Guterres,
recently stated: "To silence the guns, we must
raise the voices for peace."

Yerevan, September 29, 2020

(We acknowledge that the situation is
continuously evolving and circumstances might
differ at the time of publication)

yerevanbiennial.org