[artinfo] The Entire World as Our World: Ilive stream

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Wed Dec 2 11:36:10 CET 2020

The Entire World as Our World
International conference / live stream
December 3-4, 2020, 3pm

  <https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/70996e8687fc87f9715d3cf577fb8abc0a3ac542>The
international conference is part of the
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/efe7f9b6409220b7b7125d3da75794f0d0504bc1>Igor
Zabel Award for Culture and Theory 2020 programme

December 3-4, 3-5pm / live stream from Moderna Galerija, Ljubljana
live stream via
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/16d52c7dfb747d19242d8d04bdc376aef907390e>e-flux
live stream via
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/70996e8687fc87f9715d3cf577fb8abc0a3ac542>Igor
Zabel Award 2020 website

<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/28ab0e29ffce2fdd52bc68b1c12143b19f431d36>Register
to view the livestream. Registration isn't
mandatory.

The international conference reconsiders the
universal during the era of global capitalism and
pandemic, and aims to rethink our common future
and the presence of art in the (entire) world
that is (not yet) our world. Speakers: T. J.
Demos, Boris Groys, Ade Darmawan/ruangrupa,
Apolonija ·u”ter”iã, Alberto Toscano, and Alenka
Zupanãiã. Moderated by DraÏen Dragojeviç

Programme

Day 1: December 3, 3-5pm
How art today imagines universalism and
represents all-encompassing force such as the
force of global capitalism?

3-3:15pm
Introduction by the organizers, Zdenka Badovinac,
Moderna galerija and Ur”ka Jurman, Igor Zabel
Association for Culture and Theory

3:15-3:35pm
Alenka Zupanãiã: "The Art of Surprise"
Is art "of this world" or "not of this world"?
The presentation will propose that art is at its
strongest when it opens a perspective onto the
world in an indirect way, from the new and
surprising reality that art itself creates.

3:35-3:55pm
Boris Groys: "The Universal Subject of Care"
In contemporary society, there exists a universal
mode of work-it is the care work. The securing of
human lives is regarded by our civilization as
its supreme goal. However, our culture is also
permanently producing extensions of our material
bodies: books, photographs, documents, videos,
websites, etc. that are kept for some time after
our deaths. The universal subject is itself a
subject of care.

3:55-4:15pm
Alberto Toscano: "Quantities of the
Past-Photography in the Aftermath of Capital"
The presentation will deal with the relation
between photowork, landscape, and logistics, and
will consider environmental devastation and its
nexus with racial capitalism in light of
arguments about "dead labour" presented by
Fredric Jameson in his 2011 book Representing
Capital.

4:15-5pm
Discussion

Day 2, December 4, 3-5pm
On the relation between the particular, the
concrete, and the universal in the field of
contemporary art.

3-3:15pm
Introduction by the moderator DraÏen Dragojeviç

3:15-3:35pm
Apolonija ·u”ter”iã: "Becoming Local"
The presentation will focus on the contradiction
between the particular and the universal based on
·u”terãiã's position as an artist who works with
local people and environments from a non-local
perspective.

3:35-3:55pm
Ade Darmawan/ruangrupa
ruangrupa is a Jakarta-based collective that
supports the idea of art within the urban context
to provide critical observations and views on
Indonesian urban contemporary issues. Currently,
the collective is curating documenta 15 in Kassel.

3:55-4:15pm
T. J. Demos: "Radical Futurisms-Worlds after the End of the World"
The presentation will offer a work-in-progress
overview of Demos's current book project, which
investigates radical visions of justice-to-come
in contemporary art and visual culture-including
examples drawn from Indigenous futurisms,
Afrofuturisms, and multispecies and
post-capitalist speculative imagination.

4:15-5pm
Discussion

<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/70996e8687fc87f9715d3cf577fb8abc0a3ac542>More
about the conference and lecturers.

The award ceremony and accompanying conference
are organized by:
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/c05fddc520e79e67ba96fa29cd5da0ab210ca049>Igor
Zabel Association and
<https://email.e-flux-systems.com/campaigns/nx158bq8c1734/track-url/cg6441cst7e5d/bd5eb06595d2927622856a125af5fd49f3efcdba>Moderna