[artinfo] EUROPE# call/grant: CULTURE OF SOLIDARITY

ober ober at emdash.org
Mon Apr 6 18:26:46 CEST 2020

CULTURE OF SOLIDARITY

https://www.culturalfoundation.eu/culture-of-solidarity

We invite you to apply for the European Culture
of Solidarity Fund. The Fund supports imaginative
cultural initiatives that, in the midst of the
global pandemic crisis reinforce European
solidarity and the idea of Europe as a shared
public space.

Facing the Coronavirus crisis could be a strong
European moment. A moment when people understand
how important it is to have friends who support
each other, a moment of sharing vital
information, expertise and supplies, a moment
when you realise how a fundamental crisis can be
managed much better through cooperation and
solidarity.

But so far this has not been the European moment
we had envisioned. National leaders have taken
the initiative and do whatever it takes to
protect their citizens against the virus. Their
approaches might differ in terms of public health
when it comes to protecting the national
interest. Where is Europe and the EU? Where is
the shared European interest?

Over the last 75 years, Europe has managed to
reinvent itself as a collaborative power, a
sharing society. This has served us Europeans
well. We cannot afford a rollback. We need to do
whatever it takes to keep the sentiment of
European cooperation and solidarity intact.

In the past weeks, many emergency funds for the
cultural and creative sector have been announced
at national, regional or local levels and funding
opportunities by the EU for the arts and culture
are also underway. But so far public funding in
Eastern and Southern Europe has been scarce
compared to Western and Northern Europe, and we
are yet to see support mechanisms for creative
initiatives that strengthen a pan-European
culture of solidarity.

There is still hope. All around the globe we see
people reaching out to each other, practicing
small and often imaginative human gestures of
everyday solidarity, uniting us, across
balconies, social networks, cities and countries.
It is exactly this culture of solidarity we ought
to nourish during this global crisis and beyond.
This can be a European moment of solidarity, a
moment of citizens and communities with
creativity, imagination, caring for and
supporting each other.

What we look for:
It is this moment - a European culture of
solidarity - we have set out to capture and
encourage. The Fund - set up in partnership with
other foundations - is looking to support
imaginative cultural initiatives - big or small -
that reinforce solidarity and the notion of
Europe as a shared public space in response to
the current crisis and its aftershocks. It is
open to individuals, collectives and
organisations from all sectors and civil society
at large with initiatives and ideas that:

expand the notion of Europe as an open and shared
public space for everybody in times of inward-
looking and national decision-making;

express and act in hands-on solidarity with
people and communities across closed borders;

share experiences, knowledge, skills, stories,
ideas and resources of solidarity across Europe,
especially outside mainstream public attention;

sustain people-to-people interaction beyond
European borders and in times of travel
restrictions and social distancing;

maintain cultural life and social experiences
with a European outreach in times of home
lockdown and prepare the ground for a cultural
revival of Europe after the crisis;

develop new approaches in operations of cultural
work and new alliances across sectors to deal
with the current challenges imposed by the crisis.

What we offer:
The Fund has grants available in three amounts:

¤5.000 - 15.000 (5 - 10 awarded projects per submission round)

¤15.000 - 30.000 (2 - 3 awarded projects per submission round)

¤30.000 - 50.000 (1 - 2 awarded projects per submission round)

Grants can be used for financing a wide range of
activities ranging from seed money for entirely
new initiatives
to (co-)funding for scaling up already existing
ideas to European level. They can cover material
costs, office costs, online co-working and
communication tools, production costs, but also
expert fees and staff costs.

How does it work:
The Culture of Solidarity fund will see various
application windows this year, and we will
distribute funding equally over all windows. The
first round opened April 6 2020 and has a
deadline of Monday, 27 April 2020, 12.00 CET. We
will communicate results four weeks after the
deadline.

All incoming proposals will be assessed on the basis of their

relevance to the overall theme and focus of the Fund;

feasibility and implementation potential;

impact they may have on the challenge addressed and communities involved.

We will pay special attention to proposals coming from:

regions where so far there is little to no
emergency funding made available for the cultural
and creative sector institutions;

people and communities that face discrimination
on the basis of race, ethnicity, (cultural)
background, people with disabilities and members
of the LGBTQ+ community.

Representatives of organisations as well as
individuals over 18 years old are eligible to
apply; and applicants can be based anywhere. We
do not accept proposals submitted by political
parties. Our work is strictly non-partisan,
although pro-European.

To apply:
IMPORTANT. Please find all details and more
elaborate criteria in this document.

We ask you to fill in an online form. Pay
attention: you cannot save your work in this
wufoo form, so here is a word document containing
all questions. We recommend you copy paste the
answers from there. Additionally we provide an
alternative budget template here.

Stay safe, and good luck!