[artinfo] V2 publication: To Mind Is to Care

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Fri Apr 3 22:37:47 CEST 2020

"To Mind Is to Care"
edited by Joke Brouwer & Sjoerd van Tuinen,
published by the V2 Rotterdam, 2019
ISBN: 978-90-828935-1-9
now available as PDF:
https://v2.nl/archive/articles/free-access-to-pdfs

  Care provides a foundation for modernity that is not characterized
by new beginnings and an opposition to nature but by an humble and
curious curation of what already or still exists. Care labor is part
of everything we do and are exposed to. It does not only concern
health care, housing and education as they are organized around the
family unit as sole bearer of responsibility. It is just as much a
matter of design and economics as of politics and administration.
Care is key to the life of the mind, since it obliges us to connect
and cohere. But we are not inclined to care about what leaves us
aesthetically indifferent. We like food to be tasty, tools and
machines polished, stories interesting, buildings beautiful,
interfaces slick, just as babies must be cute. This book proposes
ethico-aesthetical models of care, in which science does not search
for deterministic outcomes, technology does not lead to abandonment,
politics does not induce indifference, and art is not marginalized.
To Mind Is to Care is edited by Joke Brouwer & Sjoerd van Tuinen, and
contains contributions by Ann-Sophie Lehmann, Sjoerd van Tuinen,
Michael Marder, Arjo Klamer, Driessens & Verstappen, Frank Pasquale,
Ellen Dissanayake, Maria Puig de la Bellacasa, Pieter Lemmens,
Jeannette Pols, Bernard Stiegler, and Frederiek Bennema.
https://v2.nl/publishing/to-mind-is-to-care