[artinfo] International Researcher Residency Program
Call for Curators
info at callforcurators.com
Tue Sep 4 20:21:20 CEST 2018
International Researcher Residency Program 2019
MMCA Residency, run by the National Museum of
Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea (MMCA), is now
receiving applications for the International
Researcher Residency Program 2019 for curators,
critics, and researchers. This research program
aims to provide a sustainable platform to develop
global networks and facilitate collaborative
programming among art professionals.
Å° Application Period: Monday, 3 September - Friday, 28 September, 2018
(Online application is available from Monday, 17 September)
* Application Deadline: 18:00 in Korean local time, Friday 28 September, 2018
Å° Residency Venue: MMCA Residency Changdong
(257 Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea)
Å° Residency Period: Please choose one term only
- 1st term: 10 April - 19 June, 2019 (1 researcher)
- 2nd term: 27 June - 5 September, 2019 (1 researcher)
- 3rd term: 25 September - 5 December, 2019 (2 researchers)
* Early move-in and late move-out are not allowed.
Å° Number of Researchers: 4 researchers in total
* If the jury does not find suitable candidates,
MMCA Residency may not fulfill its plan to select
the total number of researchers.
Å° Nationality: All regions of the world (except Korea)
Å° Research Interest
- Asian art in the 2nd half of the 20th Century
- Contemporary Asian artists
- Curators, critics, or researchers who work in
the fields related to modern and contemporary
- Who have 5 years or more experience of working in his/her own area
- No experience in MMCA residency programs (Changdong/Goyang)
- Fluent in English (mandatory)
* Work partners, assistants, and family members
are not allowed to stay at the residency. They
will need to find separate accommodation.
- Private studio with accommodation (free of charge)
- Monthly Grant: 1,000,000 KRW (approx. 890 USD)
per month, total 3,000,000 KRW for the entire
* The grant will be transferred directly to the
participant's Korean local bank account every
month and the total amount is subject to change
based on one's residency period.
- Access to the residency's facilities and resources
- Round-trip airfare, meals, transportation, etc.
- Work materials
- Travel and medical insurance
* Selected researchers should submit a copy of
insurance certificate and flight tickets to MMCA
Residency Changdong. Researchers can be rejected
- Presentation or workshop to share the results of research
- Final research paper before presentation at the end of the fellowship
- Participation in the programs, activities and
events organized by MMCA Residency
Å° Facilities: Private Studio (46~60ÜF) with
Accommodation (furnished with a single bed,
table, wardrobe, and other basic furniture),
Gallery Öü(132ÜF), Gallery ÖÝ(105ÜF), Shared
Toilet & Shower Room, Kitchen, Community Room,
Outdoor Working Zone (191ÜF) * Wireless Internet
Å° How to Apply:
Online: mmca.go.kr (English Page) - Log-in -
Residency - Application - Apply Now
- All attached files can be uploaded up to 50MB
- Submitted materials will be removed after the selection process.
- Online application system will be closed at
18:00 in Korean local time on Friday, 28
September, 2018. We request applicants to apply
in advance to avoid any possible errors or
problems caused by the overflowing number of
applicants near the deadline. Late submissions
will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Å° Materials to Submit Online
1. Online Application Form
2. CV or Résumé
3. Portfolio: Thesis, research papers, exhibition experiences, etc.
- Up to 10 works in the form of digital files
(image in .jpg, .pdf format/ document in .pdf
4. Cover Letter (800 words max.) and
Research Proposal (1,000 words max.) including
the anticipated outcome during the residency
* Please do not include your personal information
(e-mail, website address, phone number, date of
birth, etc. and any hyperlinks in the attached
Å° Materials to Submit by Post
Two Letters of Recommendation
- Please send the original copy of letter by post
to MMCA Residency Changdong. The document must
arrive by the deadline, 28 September, 2018
- Contact information of the referees (email, phone) must be included.
- The letter must be signed by the referees.
- Must be sent by either applicants or referees.
- Send to:
MMCA Residency Changdong
257 Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea (postal code: 01469)
* Submitted letters will not be returned.
Å° Selection and Notification Process
1. Review of all applications
2. Notification of the shortlist at the
beginning of November, 2018 (Selected applicants
will be contacted individually)
3. Online interview (in English) of selected
applicants on the shortlist in mid-November, 2018
4. Notification of the final selection at the beginning of December, 2018
* Final results will be posted on the MMCA website.
Please visit our website at
("Residency" menu) or email us at
mmcachangdong at gmail.com no later than 28
More information about the Artinfo