[artinfo] Fwd: Beyond the Obvious 2018

János Sugár janos.sugar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 23:40:40 CEST 2018

Culture Action Europe is delighted to invite you to our upcoming
Beyond the Obvious Conference:

ctrl+shift HUMAN: Arts, Sciences and Technologies in Coded Societies

will take place in Timisoara, Romania from 25 to 27 October, 2018.

This will also include Culture Action Europe Members' Forum and
Annual General Meeting (open for members only). More information
about the programme and registrations will follow soon.

https://cultureactioneurope.org/news/save-the-date-beyond-the-obvious-2018/

			Code, algorithms and artificial intelligence
complement the human condition, can solve problems, accelerate
decision-making, and help complete complex tasks through
self-learning processes. The framework in which these operate is
often defined as a communication system that is universal,
transparent, simple and accessible.
However, algorithmic processes are inscribed in our infrastructures
and, beyond the purely functional transmission and transformation of
the data, they often work invisibly, shaping and influencing social,
cultural, economical and political spheres and redefining our
individual and common identities.
Beyond the Obvious (BtO) Conference 2018, entitled ctrl+shift HUMAN:
Arts, Sciences and Technologies in Code Dependent Societies will
focus on that paradigm: between the fascination generated by the
possibilities of this hybrid and augmented condition bring, and the
awareness of the new patterns that leads to redefinitions of
creativity, disciplines, representation, globalization, production,
labor within the framework of an increasing code dependence.
We will look also into the environmental impacts of the cultural and
media content and data generation, storage and transfer. Algorithmic
processes require ever-increasing infrastructures, supported by
networks of servers, putting pressure on available natural resources
and on the physical environment where citizens, cultures and states
develop.
Approaching these issues means being able to recognize the strategic
importance of creating a wider outlook beyond disciplinary silos,
including arts, sciences, education, research, etc. that encourages
the enormous possibilities of crossing knowledge and the mediation
through sectors. That includes discussions of the levels of policy
intervention and funding - local, national and European -how to build
synergies between them and how to foster collaborations between
different agents and institutions.
For doing so, we will bring together various approaches, experiences
and practices from the fields of arts and culture, sciences,
technologies, activisms, theory and politics, to explore possible
cross-disciplinary answers and diverse actions towards the
challenging relations between Technology and Humans. How to keep our
humanity in this and find new forms of sense making in a post
productive and global society? What are the new models in those
relations, and which role does culture, the arts and the education
play? Are our institutions ready for it, aware of their new role?
Which organizations and policies are needed to foster alternative,
trans-sectorial and intercultural competences?

TAGS:  AI, Anthropocene, Algorithms, Cultural Policies, Data
Harvesting, Data Forensics, Decision Making Processes, Identities,
Media Competences, Posthumanism, Research, Science-Fiction, STEAM,
STAD.

GOALS: ctrl+shift HUMAN: Arts, Sciences and Technologies in Coded
Societies aims to achieve the following goals

METHODOLOGY: Beyond the obvious is a participatory, cross- and
inter-disciplinary conference. We bring speakers from various
approaches, experiences and practices, including the arts and
culture, science, technology, activism, theory, and politics