[artinfo] CFP: Media Archaeology

Artnodes artnodes at uoc.edu
Sat Jan 27 11:37:48 CET 2018

Call For Papers: Media Archaeology

To be published in issue 21 (July 2018)

Deadline for submissions: 15 February

Uncovering both the new in the old and the old in the seemingly new
of the media is one of the most recognized tasks of Media
Archaeology, a theoretical and methodological perspective on history
itself that, among other displacements, reconfigures the historical
causalities and agencies involved, offering alternative narratives to
reflect on our contemporaneity. Today some of these displacements,
extensively studied over recent decades, also align with the
so-called material shift that for some years philosophers, artists
and theoreticians in many disciplines have endeavoured to point to in
all fields and particularly in the arts and media, as we have seen in
previous monographic issues of the journal Artnodes.

This material shift aims to complement the pre-eminence of semiotic
analysis with an emphasis on analysis of contexts, uses and
experiences, as well as the agency of the machines, artefacts and
other non-human agents linked to the media. This epistemological
renewal, which also connects with the calling into question of
historical causalities and the need for counter-narratives - although
we could trace it back to the times of Walter Benjamin - was promoted
in the mid-1980s by departments of Cultural Studies and departments
of Communication through the reading of Michel Foucault, the New
Historicism of literary studies and the later influence of Cultural
History.

In this way, a renewed interest emerged in the contexts of change and
development of technologies linked to expanding and challenging our
field of knowledge, auditory and visual technologies, recording and
playback devices, and so on. The area of interest called Media
Archaeology brings together a whole set of researchers (be they
historians, artists or theoreticians) interested in these issues that
concern our way of seeing and understanding a world mediated by
viewing and computation machines.

Topics

For issue no. 21 of Artnodes we are calling for articles that propose
theoretical, practical and methodological research and, particularly,
analysis of case studies from the perspective of these theoretical
currents.

Some of the subjects can deal with (although not exclusively):

- The impact of the scientific-technical transformations on the
reconfiguration of museum institutions, knowledge institutions,
archives, and so on.

- How the accounts of development (progress, colonialism,
industrialism, and so on) were articulated with the emergence of
certain aesthetics, visual regimes and technologies associated with
the media.

-  How material culture contains our desires for progress, utopias
and dystopias, ruins and failures, and which myths persist and which
myths are transformed throughout history.

- How the perspective provided by Media Archaeology provides
counter-hegemonic accounts in contrast to the narratives
characteristic of the technophile or technophobic account of the
(new) media.

- Analysis of case studies, their contexts and the material
conditions in which media, artefacts or devices propose a reflection
on their capacity for agency.

Submission process

To deliver the articles you need to register as a user and follow
the <https://artnodes.uoc.edu/submit/start/>delivery steps. We
recommend that you carefully
follow<https://artnodes.uoc.edu/about/submissions/> the instructions
for authors given on the journal's website.

If you have any questions:

For problems with the
platform: <mailto:publicacions at uoc.edu>publicacions at uoc.edu

For questions about the operation of the
journal: <mailto:artnodes at uoc.edu>artnodes at uoc.edu

About Artnodes

Artnodes is an open-access academic journal produced by the UOC since
2002. It is published twice a year, in June and December. Its
articles come from public calls for scientific articles and are
submitted to blind review by experts in the
subject area of articles. The journal is indexed in Q2 de Scimago
Journal & Country Rank (2016), Carhus Plus+, Scopus (Elsevier), MIAR,
Latindex, etc. You can find more
information here: https://artnodes.uoc.edu/about/

Artnodes
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya