[artinfo] Curator statement Architecture Biennale Rotterdam

e-flux Architecture architecture.mailer at e-flux.com
Wed Oct 25 09:11:21 CEST 2017

International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam

Curator statement, research agenda and call for practices

<http://iabr.nl/en>iabr.nl

IABR-2018+2020-The Missing Link

Rotterdam, Brussels, 2018-2020

Adapting our way of life and consumption and
production patterns to the finite capacity of our
planet requires a fundamental socioeconomic
transition that cannot "take place" if we do not
first and quite literally "make place" for it.
There can be no transition to renewable energy,
no resilient ecosystem and no caring and solidary
living environment without the actual
transformation of our urban landscapes.

The necessary fundamental changes require the
making of major political and social choices. But
they come with a design challenge: to facilitate
behavioral change we have to be able to couple
social, spatial, and ecological problems at the
scale levels of the building, the neighborhood,
the city, and the entire planet. Creating space
means sharing space!

The Paris Climate Agreement and The Missing Link
The International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam
(IABR) applies the biennale editions of 2018 and
2020 entirely to the challenge brought to the
table of the world community in 2015 by the
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the UN
and the Paris Climate Agreement (COP21).

The board of the IABR therefore decided in the
spring of 2017 to appoint a single curator team
for two consecutive biennales, with the objective
of mobilizing global thinking and the power to
activate and design for an in-depth research by
design process that focuses on spatial
transformations that facilitate the realization
of the SDGs. Because the urgency and the
objectives are clear and the question is no
longer whether we need to, but how we are going
to adjust. Nobody really knows, and exactly this
is The Missing Link. How can we get from agendas,
knowledge, and plans to truly effective spatial
transformation? What is the new metanarrative
that can bring us, as a society-that is: truly
together-to the future? How can we organize that
transition as a spatial, but at the same time
social project that both takes our resistance to
change into account and mobilizes our longing for
it? How do we realize change fast enough, in
enough places at a time, both affordably and
socially inclusively? And what does the new
design practice we need to meet that objective
look like?

One program, two biennales
As always, the IABR adapts its methods to its
goals and that is why we are organizing the next
two editions as a single continuous cycle: two
biennales, one program. During the 2018 "work
biennale," to begin with, we will translate
existing knowledge, design power, and initiatives
into new hypotheses, approaches, and partnerships
for spatial transformation. The period between
the 2018 and 2020 editions is bridged by research
by design on matters ranging from going from
agenda setting to the evidence-based, from
research to result, from plan to implementation.
The focus gradually shifts to (ways to achieve)
concrete implementation: at specific locations,
in policy, and in funding models, as well as in
urban development and design practices. In 2020,
finally, the results of this cumulative work
process will be shared with the world: a prospect
for action and the practice related to it.

Call for practices
The three curators of IABR-2018+2020-The Missing
Link, Floris Alkemade, Leo van Broeck and Joachim
Declerck, and the president of the IABR
foundation, George Brugmans, invite everyone to
read the curator statement, the research agenda
and particularly the call for practices, all to
be found on <http://iabr.nl/en>the website of the
IABR.

The IABR-2018+2020 call for practices focuses on
practices that actually close the gap between
good plans and ambitious goals on the one hand,
and their concrete implementation on the other.
Building bridges, everywhere and at all levels,
is a creative process that requires complementary
capabilities, insights, and expertise. That is
why the curators invite both designers and other
social actors, every party that wants to commit
and can contribute to a profound socio-spatial
transformation to a resilient future: truly
innovative practices that are active in
architecture, urban and neighborhood development,
and spatial and environmental planning as well as
in policy development, knowledge sharing and
development, climate change, the energy
transition, water management, food production,
creative activity and industry, impact
investment, and social enterprise.

The IABR invites those who want to answer its
call and actually join the curators in
materializing The Missing Link to closely read
the documents including all selection criteria
and guidelines and subsequently complete the
application form available on
<http://iabr.nl/en>the IABR website.

The delta and the world: a single research agenda for a collective challenge
IABR-2018+2020 chooses the North-Western European
Rhine-Meuse-Scheldt delta as its operating base.
By appointing a Belgian-Dutch curator team and
through intensive collaboration with public and
cultural actors from the Netherlands, Flanders,
and Brussels, the partners transform this Euro
delta into the primary arena of international
knowledge sharing and cultural exchange. This
delta features one of the oldest polycentric
urbanization patterns in the world that developed
in a single coherent physical and hydrological
ecosystem and has several ports that together
link it to the world and the European hinterland.
Despite significant cultural and administrative
differences, the administrative parts of this
delta have shared capital and also share
challenges in the area of ÐÐfundamental
transitions. The Euro delta presents itself as a
representative and productive laboratory for the
world, and vice versa.

In doing so, the IABR commits itself to take full
advantage of the productivity of the community of
practice it will establish in the coming three
years, and the approach it is developing in
collaboration with that community, also after
2020, striving for one shared movement and
platform, for one biennale in the Netherlands and
Belgium.

IABR-2018: May 24-July 8, 2018

Contact: Marieke Francke, <mailto:mfrancke at iabr.nl>mfrancke at iabr.nl