[artinfo] Open call: Hackers & Designers Summer Academy 2017

Art&Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Wed May 10 10:39:53 CEST 2017

Summer Academy 2017
On and Off-The Grid

July 30-August 11, 2017

Submission deadline: May 30

De Ruimte
Distelweg 83
1031 HD Amsterdam <mailto:’Äãinfo at hackersanddesigners.nlinfo at hackersanddesigners.nl

<http://www.hackersanddesigners.nl>www.hackersanddesigners.nl

Hands-on workshops, exhibition, excursion, film night, lectures

Are you a designer, artist or developer? Are you
not afraid to open, break or rethink software and
hardware concepts and like to reflect and
research the ethical consequences that arise in
our contemporary information society?
<https://hackersanddesigners.nl/#/HDSA_2017._On>Sign
up for the third edition of the Hackers &
Designers Summer Academy!

During the summer of 2017 Hackers & Designers
invites an international group of ambitious
participants to learn by creating, researching,
and discussing. The program of the Hackers &
Designers Summer Academy in 2017 includes a
ten-day hands-on workshop program, talks and
lectures lead by well versed talented educators
and professionals skilled at teaching and sharing
information of their own research and practice to
groups of individuals who are self-initiators,
curious and innovative in their fields.

The 2-week workshop program concludes with an
exhibition in which the participants will be able
to present the results created during the Summer
Academy, next to works of curated artist,
designers and makers. The Summer Academy will be
accompanied by a public lecture program.

This year with:
<https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/>Things Network
(Netherlands), <http://www.ghai.xyz>Gottfried
Haider (Austria), <http://sarahgarcin.com>Sarah
Garcin (France), Bongani Ricky Masuku (Zimbabwe),
<http://genomicgastronomy.com>Center for Genomic
Gastronomy (US, Norway) &
<http://www.sjef.nu>Sjef van Gaalen (Netherlands)

Investigating means of going on and off the grid
The HDSA2017 program focuses on the thematic
thread and the process of going "on and off-the
grid"-a crucial societal topic and ongoing
discussion at stake in both design/art and
developer practices.

By developing an elaborate hands-on program H&D
invites participants to reflect and question
dependence and obedience of our daily work and
living environments. How can we, as modern
nomadic workers, look critically at
infrastructure, networks and systems we rely on?
Are we as steadily connected networkers capable
of disconnecting from existing grids? Can we
rethink and build self-sustaining environments
that shape our future practices in unexpected
ways?

The program shall challenge and activate the
participants to use and push the boundaries of
existing technology and programming platforms
(web, hardware, software), networks
online/offline (internet, deep web, darknet, peer
to peer, blockchain), and user experience, all in
a practical manner while incorporating content
matters and ethical consequences of the proposed
technologies and processes.

DIY (Do it yourself) & DIT (Do it together)
In order to develop a deeper understanding of the
qualities and disadvantages of technology we need
to look inside the black boxes of the technology
that we heavily rely on in our daily physical and
digital, and our private and professional lives.
Therefore a hands-on approach and the challenges
that come with making stays central throughout
the whole program. We urge the participants of
the summer academy to collaborate in opening the
box, look inside it, rummage through it or even
make their own boxes.

-Spoken language will be English
-All workshops are accessible for both the tech-savvy and the newbie nerds.
-Full program, welcome dinner, daily lunch, free
access to the public programs: 350 EUR (excl.
VAT)*

<https://hackersanddesigners.nl/#/HDSA_2017._On>sign
up for the 2017 edition of the H&D Summer Academy
visit
<https://hackersanddesigners.nl/#/HDSA_2017._On>our
website
The deadline is May 30, 2017. (First come first serve)

* If the HDSA2017 is not sold out, there is an
option to participate in one of the program
blocks. The price of one program block is 200 EUR
(excl. VAT)

Hackers & Designers (H&D) is a non-profit
cross-disciplinary community of programmers,
engineers, designers, and artists. H&D has been
experimenting, researching and developing new and
controversial technology and learning processes
with artists, designers, (software) developers
and hackers in Amsterdam and abroad since its
founding in 2013.