[artinfo] Broodthaers Society of America presents Season 2 of L'oeil Vigilant

Art&Education edu-news at mailer.e-flux.com
Sat Oct 8 22:31:16 CEST 2016

Season 2 of L'oeil Vigilant-
a poetry magazine in the form of a surveillance feed for your smartphone

Broodthaers Society of America
520 West 143rd Street
New York, NY 10031

  Today is the launch of Season 2 of
<http://www.broodthaers.us/index.php?id=86>L'oeil
Vigilant , a poetry magazine in the form of a
surveillance feed for your smartphone. The feed
offers a view, in the foreground, of the
streetlights just outside our South Bronx
editorial offices. The background depicts the
Robert F. Wagner Houses in Manhattan and the
landing approach to La Guardia airport in Queens.
All around, the ambient flow of sunlight,
passenger jets, and municipal security lights are
monitored 24/7. Also freight trains bound for the
landfills of Pennsylvania loaded down with
medical waste.
http://www.broodthaers.us/index.php?id=86

L'oeil Vigilant functions in monthly episodes
written and designed by artists within the
constraints of our surveillance apparatus: an
Everfocus Ultra 720+ security camera with low
light capability and a 60-160mm manual zoom lens
connected to a Swann 4-3425H DVR. The DVR
features SwannView Link security software with
optional motion detection and sound. Based on
each artist's instructions, we log into the
apparatus and make daily visual and verbal
adjustments to the camera, the time code, a
moveable text box within the feed, and up to four
rectilinear masks. Edited by Joe Scanlan, Season
2 will take a reflexive bent and feature episodes
by E L Burchfield, Juan Ramón Jiménez, Eileen
Myles, Neeta Patel, Hirsch Perlman, A Tribe
Called Quest, and Alice Yang.

MBnb

MBnb is our ongoing engagement with the sharing
economy that is in keeping with Marcel
Broodthaers' enterprising spirit. The apartment
is currently occupied by Jennifer Kidwell and
Scott Sheppard, two theatre professionals who are
in town performing Underground Railroad Game,
their critically acclaimed play that is currently
on an extended run at Ars Nova, New York.

The artists will be residence until November 15,
when MBnb will return to its regular Airbnb
bookings, public appointments, and private
reading group sessions. Broodthaers fans from
across the United States and around the world
will once again be able to settle into MBnb's
five-star amenities and enjoy secure access to
our Broodthaers archive and related material.

<mailto:member at broodthaers.us>member at broodthaers.us
T 212 234 4174

<http://www.broodthaers.us/index.php?id=86>www.broodthaers.us