[artinfo] fwd: World Day for Audiovisual Heritage

János Sugár sj at c3.hu
Fri Nov 4 18:11:40 CET 2016

" It's your story - don't lose it "
is the theme of this year's celebration of the World Day for
Audiovisual Heritage

UNESCO encourages audiovisual archives around the globe to join us in
celebrating 27 October by showcasing their precious collections and
holdings as part of an international endeavour to promote the value
of audiovisual heritage. Audiovisual archives tell us stories about
people's lives and cultures from all over the world. They represent a
priceless heritage which is an affirmation of our collective memory
and a valuable source of knowledge since they reflect the cultural,
social and linguistic diversity of our communities.
http://en.unesco.org/events/world-day-audiovisual-heritage-2016

Audiovisual documents, such as films, radio and television
programmes, audio and video recordings, contain the primary records
of the 20th and 21st centuries.
However, they are extremely vulnerable and it is estimated that we
have no more than 10 to 15 years to transfer audiovisual records to
digital to prevent their loss. Much of the world's audiovisual
heritage has already been irrevocably lost through neglect,
destruction, decay and the lack of resources, skills, and structures,
thus impoverishing the memory of mankind. Much more will be lost if
stronger and concerted international action is not taken.
http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/access-to-knowledge/archives/world-day-for-audiovisual-heritage/