[artinfo] Social Intentions symposium

e-artnow info at e-artnow.org
Fri Mar 25 13:39:02 CET 2016

CCA Glasgow's Social Intentions symposium explores the use of
socially-engaged art practice within institutions

Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow

Social Intentions is a symposium on the use of social engagement
within art institutions.

CCA has invited pioneering institutions in this field from all over
Europe to come together and share their practices. Since their
socially engaged approach is relevant in the current development of
contemporary culture, we will look at the benefits as well as the
pitfalls of its uses when related to art institutions.

We shaped the symposium around three main components of socially
engaged art practice which have impact and relevance when talking
about institutional production: format, time and context.

We will explore different uses of format such us the open source
programme, the hub, the laboratory, the art commission based
organisation and the Biennale. It will be important to evaluate how
these formats can relate to the use of process as well as
participation and different ways of facilitating access to creative
experiences. Thanks to the use of social engagement the 'passive'
audience is turned into active participants and the format is no
longer an 'outcome-focused' project, but rather is an outcome - an
end product - in itself. Therefore the aim is to stimulate a cultural
experience based on process rather than on event outcome. This
different perception of time and place is experienced as a long-term
and context embedded practice.

In the Introduction to her book 'Participation,' the scholar and
curator Claire Bishop refers to this new approach as the 'social
turn' in which the emphasis is now placed on temporal processes of
engagement with people rather than on art as a product.

The use of time then becomes a core part of the use of these
practices. This symposium will refer to time as 'durational' in
response to Paul O'Neill and Claire Doherty's definition. They define
durational as a series of 'processes to public art curating and
commissioning [which] emerged as an alternative to nomadic, itinerant
and short-termist approaches in recent years'. The durational
proposed in this symposium is an open process, at some times more
loose than at others, often a cyclical time of self-reflexivity
without a predesignated end point.

Finally, we will consider ways in which these institutions engage
with context. Often places are presented as fixed entities to which
art practitioners are invited to respond with good idea(s).
Geographer Doreen Massey offered an alternative approach to
conceptualising geographical space, as 'a mutable location'. She saw
it as a 'living experience,' a constellation of social relations,
meeting and weaving together at a particular locus. A large
proportion of those relations are constructed on a far larger scale
than what we happen to define for that moment as the place itself,
whether that be a street, or a region, or even a continent. Massey
underlined the essence of space as a plurality of trajectories which
coexist contemporaneously. She recognised the space as a constant
work in progress, as the result of interrelations never static nor
fixed, never finished. Space, in this sense, includes a complexity of
aspects: history; politics; philosophy; social discourse;
representation; community; culture; landscape etc. Those are relevant
to the making and understanding of public art, site-specific projects
and community projects.

The symposium will include workshops and brainstorming sessions as
well as panel discussions, talks and presentations. The programme
will aim to actively involve the people attending the symposium, the
talks and all the activities will have a participatory component. The
format of the symposium will be heterogeneous and versatile.

CCA's public engagement programme aims to widen access to our
programme and encourage social and cultural change explored through
art. For us this is a very important moment of transition. Our
approach towards public and social engagement is very open and we
would like to use this symposium to bring socially engaged
institutions together to share different practices.

With Sanne Oorthuizen and Ying Que (CASCO), Viviana Checchia (CCA),
Ainslie Roddick (CCA), Claudia Zeiske (Deveron Arts Centre), Emily
Gee (FACT), Adam Sutherland (Grizedale), Andrea Phillips (Valand
Academy, University of Gothenburg), Polly Brannan (Liverpool
Biennial), Manuela Villa (Matadero), Marcos Garcia (Medialab -
Prado), Alistair Hudson (Mima), Louise Shelley (Showroom), Claire
Doherty (Situations), Harry Weeks (University of Edinburgh) and Lucy
Brown (University of Strathclyde).

www.cca-glasgow.com

<mailto:viviana at cca-glasgow.com>viviana at cca-glasgow.com
Viviana Checchia, Public Engagement Curator
Phone: +44 141 352 4900

<http://www.cca-glasgow.com>www.cca-glasgow.com
Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow
350 Sauchiehall Street