[artinfo] July 1_FKSE_From Judith Butler's Kinship to Family Queer_sound and vision lecture by Christiane Erharter

tranzit.hu office office at tranzitinfo.hu
Fri Jun 24 10:49:39 CEST 2016

>From Judith Butler’s Kinship to Family Queer
Sound and Vision Lecture by Christiane Erharter

Time: July 1, 2016, 4 pm - 8 pm
Venue: FKSE - Studio Gallery, 1077 Budapest, Rottenbiller u. 35.

Related event of tranzit.hu's international group exhibition "Our Heart Is
a Foreign Country - Friendship as an alternative in a normal world". The
event is realized within the framework of tranzit.hu's long term research
project titled "Chosen Family" the initiator of which is Dóra Hegyi.

Program:

4 pm: guided tour in English by Gyula Muskovics, co-curator of "Our Heart
Is a Foreign Country - Friendship as an alternative in a normal world"

6 pm: From Judith Butler’s Kinship to Family Queer / sound and vision
lecture by Christiane Erharter

For Judith Butler family is always already both social and political. State
apparatuses are repressing the fact that the state’s enduring existence is
founded upon the family: “citizenship demands a partial repudiation of the
kinship relations that bring the male citizen into being, and yet kinship
remains that which alone can produce male citizens”—says Butler (Antigone’s
Claim: Kinship Between Life and Death, 2000). In Sophocles’ play, Antigone
subverts and—in the end—defies the relation of kinship and citizenship, not
submitting to the patriarchal law that her uncle-king Kreon decreed in an
attempt to govern “good” lineage (kinship) by denying Antigone's
brother-gone-wild Polyneikes the funeral. Not unlike the—often described as
feminist—agency of Antigone who acts from a perverted dysfunctional
heterosexual family's perspective, the queer family bonds that I will talk
about in this lecture are not cast by kinship. In this sound and vision
lecture, I will browse through a different kind of family album. I will
present artworks, songs, films, texts, and ideas that deal with the
concepts of queer family, friendship, and intimacy as a form of living
together and a mode of production. For many years, family and friendship
have served as subjects and topics of artworks and exhibitions. More often
these concepts are a form of collaborative-collective production, like the
practice of the feminist Romanian artist collective h.arta or the artist
duo Michael Elmgreen and Ingar Dragset who are working together since 1995.

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1116822408374323/

"Our Heart Is a Foreign Country" is on view at Studio Gallery till July 30,
2016. More: https://www.facebook.com/events/239372706441367/
?active_tab=highlights

Related events in English:

July 8-9: public presentation and workshop by Anetta Mona Chişa
(More information soon)

July 28, 6 pm: Karol Radziszewski: "Kisieland" (2012)
screening of the film and artist talk with Karol Radziszewski about Central
Eastern European queer art practices
(More information soon)