[artinfo] The Exhibitionist: Journal on Exhibition Making

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Fri Jun 10 11:33:48 CEST 2016

The Exhibitionist: Journal on Exhibition Making
Issue 12 now available

<http://the-exhibitionist.com/>the-exhibitionist.com

The Exhibitionist's 12th issue, a special "La
Critique" issue in which we take a critical look
at recent matters within our pages and
discipline, is now available.

Issue 12 scrutinizes our founding premise, that
The Exhibitionist is a journal "by curators, for
curators." When we launched six years ago, this
circuit of self-reflection seemed necessary, and
enabled a conversation that was not available in
other venues. But one effect of this focus, as we
see it now, was a siloing-off of curatorial
thinking from other parts of the field of
exhibition making-which is, after all, based in
collective forms of authorship.

Therefore this issue centers on that social form,
and features conversations between curators and
artists who have worked together over long
periods. We encouraged them to move past
caricatures of their relationship as a zero-sum
game in which either the artist is the autonomous
genius or the curator is the overwhelming
performer stealing the artist's thunder. We
rejected as well the whole consideration of
"artist-as-curator/curator-as-artist" as
hopelessly circular. Instead we focus on
exchanges of ideas, points of mutual influence,
connections, conflicts, struggles, and social
life.

In the first section, Fia Backström and Anthony
Huberman discuss the territory between
manipulation and collaboration. Anne Ellegood and
Kerry Tribe weigh how a curator's provocation can
inspire an artist's practice and vice versa. Inés
Katzenstein speaks with the painter Juan José
Cambre about the shifting identities of artists
and curators, understanding both to inhabit the
same mental geography, the all-encompassing "cosa
mentale." And The Exhibitionist's founding editor
Jens Hoffmann talks with Claire Fontaine about
collaborations in which "sublimated aggression,
humor, and a slight insanity on both sides play
important roles."

This section concludes with a missive written by
the eccentric artist James Lee Byars to the
iconic curator Harald Szeemann at a point when
their once-convivial relationship had begun to
sour. Flush with affection and antagonism, Byars
proposes to embody Szeemann in a performance of
the latter's death.

For the second section we invited writers to
respond to The Exhibitionist's archive. Triple
Candie investigates the slippery lines between
artistic action and curatorial practice. Emiliano
Valdés resists the emphasis on artist and
curator, instead considering the relation between
artwork and audience. Daniel Birnbaum charts the
institutional cooptation of attitudes from the
Situationist International in the 1960s.
Nontobeko Ntombela points to misapprehensions of
the curatorial role in South Africa, while
artist-publishers Slavs and Tatars speak of that
role in semi-mystical terms. Finally, Rachel Rose
meditates on curators' and artists' shared
impulse to transform the unknown and chaotic into
meaning.

Issue 12 will be the final issue of The
Exhibitionist as a biannual journal. In early
2017 we will release the journal's entire run as
an omnibus edition with new essays, copublished
with DAP. The book's release will be celebrated
at a public event co-organized with Independent
Curators International and featuring members of
the editorial board, contributors, and others.
The journal's continued activity will shift to
<http://the-exhibitionist.com>the-exhibitionist.com,
as well as to upcoming books and special issues.

The Exhibitionist is a journal made by curators,
for curators, focusing solely on the practice of
exhibition making. The objective is to create a
wider platform for the discussion of curatorial
concerns, to encourage a diversification of
curatorial models, and to actively contribute to
the formation of a theory of curating.

The Exhibitionist: Journal on Exhibition Making
Editor: Jens Hoffmann
Senior Editor: Julian Myers-Szupinska
Associate Editor: Liz Glass
Editor at Large: Chelsea Haines
Copy Editor: Lindsey Westbrook
Design: Jon Sueda / Stripe

Friends of Exhibitionists: Noreen Ahmad, Jack
Kirkland, José Kuri, Mónica Manzutto, Elisa
Nuyten, Outset USA, Andrea Rosen, Ross
Sappenfield, Luisa Strina, Julia Reyes Taubman,
and VIA Art Fund

Editorial board: Carolyn Christov-Bakargiev,
Okwui Enwezor, Patrick Flores, Massimiliano
Gioni, Mary Jane Jacob, Maria Lind, Carol Yinghua
Lu, Chus Martínez, Jessica Morgan, Hans Ulrich
Obrist, Adriano Pedrosa, João Ribas, Gayatri
Sinha, Christine Tohmé

For store orders in Europe and North America,
please email
<mailto:orders at mottodistribution.com>orders at mottodistribution.com.
For store orders in North America, please email
<mailto:office at newdistributionhouse.com>office at newdistributionhouse.com.