[artinfo] "Was ist Kritik?" international symposium at n.b.k.

e-flux info at mailer.e-flux.com
Tue Jan 19 10:29:59 CET 2016

"Was ist Kritik?" (What is Critique?)
International symposium

Neuer Berliner Kunstverein (n.b.k.)
Chausseestraße 128/129
10115 Berlin
Germany
Hours: Tuesday-Sunday 12-6pm,
Thursday 12-8pm

<http://www.nbk.org/en/>www.nbk.org

What is Critique? Touching on the legacy of the
Enlightenment, that always needs to be updated
and critically analyzed, this question will be
discussed in relation to its central role for
civil society. A critical attitude towards all
assertions and realities can put us in a position
to reflect on them, instead of simply believing
them to be true. At the same time we have to
acknowledge that a critical attitude includes
affirmative traits, thus implies and presupposes
affirmations that limit its critical access.
Jean-Luc Nancy's lecture "Unser Zeitalter ist
nicht mehr das eigentliche Zeitalter der
Kritik" (Our age is no longer the actual age of
critique) marks the start of the symposium "Was
ist Kritik?" (What is Critique?), which takes
place on January 28, 2016 at HAU Hebbel am Ufer
and on February 6 and 7 at Neuer Berliner
Kunstverein, as well as on April 1 and 2 at the
Zurich University of the Arts. The symposium
seeks to debate the relationship of critique and
affirmation from various perspectives and to
discuss new theories and findings of the
interdisciplinary and civil society-related
question of "critique" as a prerequisite of our
social order.

Concept by: Marius Babias, Christoph Schenker, Marcus Steinweg

Thursday, January 28, 7pm
Lecture by Jean-Luc Nancy (Prof. emer. of
Philosophy, Marc Bloch University of Strasbourg,
lives in Strasbourg): "Unser Zeitalter ist nicht
mehr das eigentliche Zeitalter der Kritik" (Our
age is no longer the actual age of critique)

Moderated by Marcus Steinweg (Philosopher, lives in Berlin)
In German

Venue: HAU Hebbel am Ufer, HAU 1, Stresemannstr. 29, 10963 Berlin
<http://english.hebbel-am-ufer.de/programme/schedule/2016-01/jean-luc-nancy-what-is-critique/2249/>www.hebbel-am-ufer.de

Saturday, February 6, 3-7pm
Introduction by Marius Babias (Director Neuer Berliner Kunstverein)

Marcus Steinweg (Philosopher, lives in Berlin)
In German

Alenka Zupanãiã (Professor of Philosophy,
Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts,
Ljubljana, lives in Ljubljana)
In English

Thomas Hirschhorn (artist, lives in Paris)
In German

Eva Illouz (Professor of Sociology, Hebrew
University of Jerusalem, lives in Jerusalem)
In English

Venue: Neuer Berliner Kunstverein, Chauseestraße 128/129, 10115 Berlin
Admission free
<http://www.nbk.org/en/>www.nbk.org

Sunday, February 7, 2-6pm
Elena Esposito (Professor of Sociology of
Communication, University Modena e Reggio Emilia,
lives in Modena)
In German

Sabeth Buchmann (Professor of History of Art,
Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, lives in Vienna)
In German

Ann Cotten (Writer, lives in Berlin)
In German

Maxim Biller (Writer, lives in Berlin) / Claudius
Seidl (Publicist, lives in Berlin and Munich)
In German