[artinfo] Open Call: Art Meets Radical Opennes, Linz/Austria

Uschi Reiter uschi.reiter at servus.at
Mon Feb 8 17:06:02 CET 2016

AMRO - Art Meets Radical Openness 2016, Linz
Festival Dedicated to Art, Hacktivism and Open Culture

Waste(d)!
25.05-28.05.2016, Linz/Austria

| Open Call:
| https://www.radical-openness.org/open-call
| Submission deadline: Sunday, 2nd of April 2016

AMRO is a biennial community festival in Linz that probes and engages
with new challenges between digital culture, art, everyday life,
education, politics, and taking action.

This year's festival "Waste(d)!" is devoted to aspects of the conditions
of our digital infosphere that are increasingly perceived as complex.
The act of saving, deleting, or resurfacing data and information has
taken on a life of its own, is monitored, monetized and waste valuable
natural resources.

What is the cultural, social, philosophical, ecological, and economic
significance of producing, saving, deleting, and resurfacing data?

The Open Call is addressed to artists, hacktivists, cultural producers,
journalists, F/LOSS developers, idealists, and others who want to
contribute (exhibition, workshop, lecture, performance) to this years topic.

# Exhibition
This years Festival opens with an exhibition on 25th of May 2016. It
assembles artistic positions on the cultural practice of saving,
deleting, and resurfacing data.
Along with classical exhibition participation, workshops and
performances can also be proposed, which deal with the theme or
introduce complementary aspects.

# Workshops & Clinic Sessions
Which experiments, alternative tools, and infrastructures give us an
idea of meaningful alternatives and do they exist? Where do our digital
traces lead us? How do we liberate ourselves from new compulsions?

# Lectures
Producing, saving, deleting, and resurfacing data have become such an
integral part of our everyday lives that we are often not really even
aware of what we are doing, let alone of the consequences. And have we
really lost all possibility of control over the digital traces we leave
behind? Yet the traces we leave are not only digital: What are the
material impacts of the technologies we take for granted? What options
are left to us?

# Performances, Nightline
What does our quantified self, acoustic data garbage processing, or a
"wasted" planet sound like? Is electronic garbage a valuable cultural
good? Less serious contributions based on free/open source software or
self-made open hardware are equally welcome.

AMRO (Art Meets Radical Openness) is characterized by the spirit of the
free software movement. This understanding is an essential basis for the
selection of contributions using software and hardware.